• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Zak

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen on this site that you can take the top off but I cannot get mine to budge. HOw does one go about this, i just do not want to force it much and break anything. I need to take it off to put in the heater and new pump. Thanks for the help.

Zak

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hood is attached to the frame before assembly, i think. the two pegs that hold the hinged part of the top are actually inserted from underneath, then the top is siliconed to the aquarium.

i have a little dremel tool and some plastic bonding stuff, i was going to carefully saw off the pegs that hold the top on and just reglue them.

but i decided against that. it's easier to use a drill or dremel to modify the parts where the cords come out through the hood, and fit a new cord in that way, rather than trying to take the top off...

did that help? are the cords the problem in your way? if not, what makes you need to take the top off? explain more. i was able to fit the heater and new pump by simply opening the lid and tossing them in. the heater is one of the little low wattage submersible things. the pump is a MJ600, it just fits perfectly!

johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason MIE will not take me to JBJ Lighting website which is bookmarked as a favorite. On their site, are instructions on how to take th ehood off. I will repost if I can get it.

Zak

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks for the tips. From looking at the lid, i thought it would come off by pushing it foward while closed but mine did not want to budge. Just have to try a little harder.

What wattage heaters are you guys using? I have a ton of stuff left over from my 75g and 110g reefs but the heaters are all around 300w or so. A bit large for this tank.

Thanks again,

Zak

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember the wattage of my heater, but it's not much. It's a good quality submersible heater that is somewhere between 7" and 9" long. I removed the ceramic rings and stuck it in that compartment in the back. I also tossed my thermometer in the first compartment that water flows into... yay!

The bulb I have in the hood is a 32w 50/50 PC ... it was so long I had to do it angled. har har! But it just barely fit.

cain

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get the lid off by putting it in the closed position, sliding the tip of a large flat head screwdriver between the pins/hinges and the lid and gently prying the lid forward. Slowly pop one side out at a time.

Getting the lid back on is the tricky part.

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Hwarang, I also placed my heater into the first champer. I believe that mine is around 100watts. It is overkill, but it is the heater that I had around that house. I wasn't going to go out and buy a new one.

When I remove my hood I just grab the back two corner of the hood and slowly wiggle one corner until it "breaks" free from the hindge. ( No I don't actually break my hood) The hindges are made to slide forward. Although I try not to do it too often because I am afraid that I will actually break the hindges.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I just tried sliding it forward on mine and it came off really easily, almost too easily. From all these posts I was ready for a struggle, so I started pushing pretty hard, and it just popped out with a loud sound and kind of startled me. Anyway, that makes my mods a lot easier. Thanks for posting everyone. Also, I plan on using a 50 watt submersible heater, I think 50 should be plenty...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: