• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just recieved my new JBJ Nano Cube. Here is my idea for a Refugium in the rear of the unit. Those of you with this tank and all others please comment with potential problems that you may see. Also any other ideas based off of this design.

Thanks

Attachments

• fuge for nano.jpg
    fuge for nano.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 643

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You idea looks sound, but here are a few comments:

If you are going for a refugium/natural filtration system, then you might want to remove the sponge filter completely. It will only trap detrius. Allow the detrius to settle out into your refugium to be "processed." Maybe use that section for carbon, even if just a few days at a time.

You might want to get some thin acrylic sheets to seal off the outer bulkheads instead of using pieces of the removed middle bulkhead. (I'm assuming that is what you had in mind.)

I found it very difficult to glue anything inside the rear partitions, and you will probably have an especially difficult time with small pieces of plastic. I was barely able to get my hand in there. I cut an acrylic piece down to the appropriate width with a dremel tool and a routing attachment. I kept the piece at the full height of the bulkhead. Then I applied generous amounts of silicone to it, especially on the bottom where it would be difficult to seal after the fact. I carefully placed the partition against the bulkhead and pushed it into place. Then I used a thin dowel to apply silicone to the sides to create a water-tight seal.

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that i should be ok with working in the back area. I tried yesterday and I can get my hand in and should be able to work a little in side the back. Thanks for the input.

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is the first picture of the work. The picture is kinda crappy, but you can see the bulkhead removed.

Also I decited to get a second 24 watt light to go in the cover. (the light was on sale at the LFS. 3.99)

Attachments

• img_0003.jpg
    img_0003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 605

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: