• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ufcd98

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the previous LED thread has me all "lit up"
what would the optimal wavelength for soft corals/hard corals be?

I know i could search but i'm lazy

luxeon.com has released a "line," or strip of 12 pre-attached 1W LEDs that are available in white and blue (470NM). the single LED bulbs are still available in Royal Blue (455NM), so I'm wondering which spectrum to pair with the whites is better.

thanks,
steve

adinsxq

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
csl bulbs peak at the high end - more like the 470 luxeon while "true" actinic NOs VHOs or hellolights tend towards the lower UVish end - 420/430nm

but at 120 lumens per emitter, it's probably not so much about "which is better for the coraloompas," but more of which color you prefer or what color temp of white light you're trying to visually off set.

hth. :)

i like the 455's better ;)

edit: if you're paring them up with whites, keep in mind that they average 5500k (~4500-8000).. which might influence which blue you choose

smlacy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of that Luxeon Line.

Anybody know where to order one online? And how much they cost?

Steve

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay I'm totaly down for trying LED's. What exactly are people using? Are there any premade strips out there (plug and go)? I don't want to mess with hooking them up at this point. If there are any out there are there links to the sights? I've been to lumiled.com but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly which is making navigation somewhat tedius. Thanks, Shaun Legacy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: