• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back to the idea of a seahorse nano, what would be the best tank under ten gallons to put one in, and are those aquarium kits suitable or not? Thanks! :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think much of that depends on what species of horse you plan on keeping. The ones at my LFS are trained on frozen mysid, which makes feeding easier. The pygmies usually need to be fed several times a day with enriched or gut-loaded artemia, making constant food input a strict requirement. Many say a 5 gallon nano is just fine because water changes are easier and food dilution is reduced. That is, the amount of water around the horse to disperse food items, requiring more luck and work to secure them. Change water regularly, Id say weekly (less often if the system is skimmed) and test for the various states of nitrogen (to tell you how often to change) and I say a 5 or 10 g seahorse nano should be fairly easy to setup and maintain. No one on here has one, if you make it people are sure to be interested.

I have really put my head to work on a pygmy horse pico (.75 gallon) with two specimens and some very light flow from a restricted powerhead. Instead of continually dripping kalk for the purposes of SPS, Id drip diluted enriched baby brine shrimp and find some way to plumb the setup to a reservoir to extend out the need for water changes.

Brandon M.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dirty little fantasy is to plumb a seahorse setup into my reef setup. I think I could have five gallons, or less that turned over water from the sump of my eclipse. I don’t have any fish in the eclipse setup, and I know that it could handle the extra bioload. I could use a restricted powerhead to turn the seahorse tank over every once in a while, and I am sure that any extra artima or frozen mysis would be appreciated by my hermit crabs and boxer shrimp. :)

M

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Blue, that's a great idea. I had tiny little seahorses from Florida when I was a kid back
in the 1960's. Needless to say they only lasted a couple of months, as few people could keep them alive for very long back then. They are cool!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great resource for seahorse info is www.seahorse.org
Captively reared seahorses are commercially available and I strongly suggest anyone interested in keeping them as pets to buy a captively raised specimen.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely captive raised. The next question is:Has anyone ever heard of the Ecoscape mini aquarium kits from Oscar Enterprises? Yes, no, good or bad experiences? Would the 8 gallon be suitable for my purpose? Thanks! :D

ozadars

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under 10 gals you can keep dwarf seahorses... You need more then 10 gals for big horses... Also i would highly recommend you top buy cb not wc

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleeding Blue":306f39jf said:
My dirty little fantasy is to plumb a seahorse setup into my reef setup. I think I could have five gallons, or less that turned over water from the sump of my eclipse. I don’t have any fish in the eclipse setup, and I know that it could handle the extra bioload. I could use a restricted powerhead to turn the seahorse tank over every once in a while, and I am sure that any extra artima or frozen mysis would be appreciated by my hermit crabs and boxer shrimp. :)

M

Cool idea, the water quality will be much better. Definately Dwarf seahorses for 10 gallons and under, captive bred. What a certain Hawaiian breeder calls "pygmy" isn't a true Pygmy seahorse (Hippocampus bargibanti) but the Dwarf seahorse ( Hippcampus zosterae). You can see the difference at the links below. True Pygmy Seahorses are NOT available for the hobbyist. They have only recently been discovered and whatever specimens have been collects are for research.

Please be sure if you plumb a smaller tank to your reef, that you keep the current gentle for the dwarfs. And, of course, no copper based medications ever.

http://www.seahorse.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03
http://www.seahorse.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album30

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: