• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent seen a 18 gallon from all glass. is this a new tank? it is not listed on their website.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it's a fairly new tank and they have yet to post it on their website. The one I saw had black seals on it. Check your local Petco and you'll probably see it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 18 is a really tall 10 gal. so its probably 20 x 10 x 20? L x d x h

I have a 15 tall which is the same footprint as a 10 gal but 6" taller.

check www.all-glass.com

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 18 gallon - same footprint as a 10 gallon just about 2x as tall. very nice tank dimensions - have an eclipse hood over mine.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU Technoshaman. It's a great tank, but doesn't sound like it's going to work for me. I'll be fitting a 2x55W retro over it, which will be an inch or so too long. Oh well.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skylsdale,

You know a friend of mine Daniel, (Kimichan on rdo,) just used 29W power compacts to retrofit on his 10 gallon. They are just about the right size, and I think you could retrofit 4 of them. He got a double balast for pretty cheap from hellolights.

Mike

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip Bleeding Blue. The only reason that wouldn't work is because I've already gone through with the 2x65W retro assuming I was going to use it over a 20H, but the other day I ran into Petco and saw the 18 gal sitting there. I'm putting together somewhat of a deep-water tank that I've been planning for over a year now, and the dimensions of the 18 are nice and tall which would emphasize the verticalness of the reef slope wonderfully, but I think I'll just stick with the 20H since I've already got one sitting here empty.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of S. latus (sundburst anthias). If you do a search over at ReefCentral for "deep-water" you'll find quite a few threads I have participated in concerning this type of setup and the philosophy I have pretty much settled on in running it. Most people assume you can just have a few NO actinics and keep some non-photosynthetic corals. They think feeding extra amounts makes up for the lack of light, but this is a terrible misconception. I started with that idea more than a year ago, but all the research I've done since then has changed my final plan considerably. I hope to put together a system, either with a single slope taking up about 2/3 of the tank or two separate slopes on either side with a small "chasm" in between (with the LR stacked to the water's surface or above) to create the feel of a steep reef slope. In the 20H or 18 gal I plan on just adding 1-3 specimens of plating coral, like M. capricornis or T. reniformis. I want to keep plenty of room clear for them to grow and whorl, providing cryptic and shadowed areas throughout the tank. I plan on adding a few sponge spp. to fill in the gaps on the rockwork. To me, it's not just about having lowlight conditions and stocking the tank with animals that can tolerate it (shrooms, zoos, etc.) but actually recreating that environment and the inhabitants found there. It's a pretty simple setup, but I think once it begins to mature and the corals fill out that it will be pretty impressive visually. If all goes well, down the road I would like to translate it all to a 110XH.

Well, that's about the just of it. There are more aspects to it, but I won't bore you all with the technical stuff.

jhiltabiddle

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank......bought from Petco.....sold to ma as an 18 gallon tank....

The dimensions are 20"x10"x18".......do the math..

20x10x18=3600 Cu inches

3600 Cu in. / 231 = 15.6 Gallons....

The fact that it was sold to me as an 18 gallon pissed me off too !

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: