• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefs.org! I just joined and wanted to share my 10 gallon kitchen nano that I setup last summer. Here it is… Set up is as follows... lighting is a 2x36 watt ahsupply retrofit PC, with bulbs from hellolights.com (one 10,000k and one actinic). Above the tank is a 7 gallon refugium (drilled plastic critter keeper) with two 15 watt NO "Lights of America" kits from Home Depot that cost about $7 a pop. I run those 24/7. In the tank I have two Minijet 606s at each corner (upgraded from original 404s) and I have an Aquaclear 150 HOB on the back, drilled to fit another Minijet (404) that pumps up to the fuge. The fuge then gravity feeds back to the tank via the HOB. I have another powerhead in the fuge for circulation, which helps grow the macro. I have an ebo-jager (I think 150 watt) in the fuge. I drip about a half gallon a night of kalk (sometimes full strength with 1 teaspoon/gallon, sometimes ¾ teaspoon, depending on pH and alk). Lately I’ve been adding straight calcium chloride on top of that as my tanks become a hog. Calcium stays between 400 and 450. I try to keep my alk around 3.0 meq/L. I do a little over one gallon in water changes a week, and am up to 10 mL DT's phytoplankton every other day, on top of Selcon and a whole slurry of frozen things I feed, as I have many filter feeders including my nonphotosynthtic orange gorgonian (Swiftia sp.). Inverts are too many to list, but include softies, LPS, SPS, and four clams (three maximas and a squamosa). Blah blah blah... I'm happy to go on and on about this tank, but would rather go back and forth with questions... I'll post a bunch of pics...

Attachments

• tank4-16.jpg
    tank4-16.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,067
  • tank and fuge.jpg
    tank and fuge.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3,068
  • clamsnano.jpg
    clamsnano.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,093

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mas fotos ;) my sps really browned out under my PCs :mrgreen:

Attachments

• greenmaxnano.jpg
    greenmaxnano.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,051
  • yellowmonti.jpg
    yellowmonti.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,061
  • nightacronano.jpg
    nightacronano.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,058

R33f_$hark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool tank. I especially like how you have the fug up in a cabinet and plumbed down into the tank. Have any other tanks around the house????

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks R33f_$hark... at the moment no, but as soon as my wife and I get a house later this year or next year I have big plans, including my 180 which is in Dad's garage waiting... :cry:

Anyway here are some more shots...

Attachments

• nightcup[1].jpg
    nightcup[1].jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,033
  • frontshot[1].jpg
    frontshot[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,038
  • darkshot[1].jpg
    darkshot[1].jpg
    54 KB · Views: 3,037

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the last ones for now... comments and discussion welcome :lol:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,014
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 3,019
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,024

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Golly, please post this in our nano forum so we can nag you for details. :)

I have been reading about your kitchen nano on another board, and I have seen it was Nano of the Month, deservedly so. The color of your tank and long-term support of tricky inverts is one of your major credits, and we'd like to see all the progressive pictures of your reef here on our major site Reefs dot Org.

Not that there is anything you could do to improve the system, but if you were looking for neat shortcuts such as autotopoffs or natural nitrate control then Id like to say our new nano forum is the place to start.

We sure appreciate your new nano and registration on our BB, and may I please have your green tridacnid clam when you are through with it.

:) Welcome!

Brandon M.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna give you double exposure and copy this thread to the nano-reef forum.

Truly, great tank (nano or otherwise :P )

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len and Brandon thanks both... by all means nag nag nag!! Isn't that what this board is for... BSin about our systems? :P We could always use room for improvement and I look forward to the nano board. Auto topoff is for people who don't like putting time into their nanos :mrgreen: No seriously I do a slow precise drip of kalk every night depending on my readings and how much my pH fluctuates (which tells me my alk almost without testing 8) ). As for nitrates does anyone have a fuge and still have nitrates? :?: It seems I could dump anything in this nano and it'd get filtered out, which i almost do... I feed pretty heavily, which is a benefit if you could at the same time keep your water quality up there... Let the BSin start...

Attachments

• nightclownnano.jpg
    nightclownnano.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,990

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incidentally the white spot there is from when I took a jigsaw to my frogspwan to cut it down to size... my clown bit me a bit, but I fought through him and now he's calm again...

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the sweetest nanos I've ever seen. Nice work!

I have that same tri-color (A. Cerealis). One of my favorite pieces.

Texas2Turkey

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome,

Very well done tank!

How long have you had the clams in there? Haven't heard of many people having long term success with just pc lighting....thats why I ask...

I'm certainly impressed/jealous!

And thanks for sharing with us.... :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall color scheme has an amazing effect, the light greens and neons would have some sort of technical photographer's terms to depict it.

Really, that is some of the best aquascaping IMO Ive ever seen.

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again all...

reefnutz I love that piece too, and it's grown relatively nicely and kept nice color also. When I get the 180 back up this guy will be under 400 watt ushios with actnic, but I'll probably just take a branch and leave the "colony" in the nano...

Texas2Turkey, three of the four clams have been in there over 6 months, and they have plenty of growth, and their color speaks for itself. I feed heavily. I agree that many people fail with clams under PCs, but no doubt my success is due to the fact that they are INCHES from the light source, not on the bottom of a 90 gallon with some 96 watt PCs a few feet up... there is no doubt they are settled in and healthy (knock on wood)

brandon429 thanks! I had a few goals when I set this up. One was to make the tank look bigger than a 10. The other is something I've always tried to do, make the rock look like ONE PIECE, not just some loose pieces stacked on top of eachother in unnatural positions. And I try to make the aquascaping look real. I am a diver, and some tanks just look like LFS sale tanks the way the corals are just placed on the rocks... This nano has been a big challenge... I'm thinking of buying a monkey to help with is small hands as I'm always knocking stuff around... This is my 10 gallon chunk of the reef... and as I've said before...

COMPARED TO THE OCEAN WE ALL HAVE NANOREEFS! :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very very nice.Why in the kitchen.It needs to be out in the living area so you can show it off to people. very nice

zizmans

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Johnny glad to see you here! Just found this sight myself. Sure nice to know you will be able to WOW a whole new group of nano-reefers with your AMAZING tank.

Brooklyn Johnny

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all...

Seawhiz I'm Italian so I live in the kitchen... :mrgreen: no in reality my wife and I are in this apartment short term until we buy a house so I wanted something simple to cull my reef urges without getting involved with building a stand and all that... well needless to say it didn't stay too simple :lol: Here's more pics...

Attachments

• redzoanthids4-22.jpg
    redzoanthids4-22.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,852
  • greenzoanthids4-22.jpg
    greenzoanthids4-22.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,849
  • wholetankcircle4-22.jpg
    wholetankcircle4-22.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,856

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: