• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this come up in a different thread, and I think it's worth discussing. Seeing as I've kept 3 octopuses, I think I should chime in with my experiences. Using RO/DI water is a must with octos. They will not tolerate any sort of pollutants in the water. They're fairly tolerant of nitrate from what I've read. If you have SPS corals growing in your water, it's probably OK for an octopus. I used Instant Ocean salt for my saltwater. I don't know if other brands will work, but IO definitely does.

As far as species go, O. bimaculatus and O. bimaculoides or "bimacs" are by far the hardiest, cheapest, and most readily available octos, although they will quickly outgrow a nano. The min tank size for these guys is around 30 gallons. I ordered mine from www.fishsupply.com . A lot of online sites can get an octopus, but they have no idea what species it is. Fishsupply can positively ID bimacs, and they collect in an area (West Coast) that not many other octos inhabit anyway. The downside is that these guys prefer a cooler water temp than most reefs can handle. I kept one at 77, but it was not very happy. I believe the NRCC breeds them at around 65. 70 is a good compromise, but not a very good temp for corals at all.

The species that would probably be best for a nano is one of the pygmy octos. They usually come from the Caribbean waters and can tolerate reef temps. They stay small and are quite secretive in general.

The downsides with any octo are the inability to keep most other inverts with them, and their propensity to escape. All motile inverts (and verts) besides echinoderms and bristleworms are likely to become lunch. I suppose a tank could be cleaned by bristleworms, brittlestars, and urchins though. Sealing the tank from escape is a must. I actually kept a ping pong sized bimac in my refugium for 3 months w/o a top. For some reason bimacs won't try and crawl out of a tank unless very stressed out. All other octos are a different story. They can and will squeeze through very tiny holes to escape. I've seen video of a giant octopus with a wingspan of 6 feet or so squeeze through a hole the size of a fist, so you can imagine what the small ones can do.

There is much, much more information on cephalopods at "The Cephalopod Page"

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT subject, wombat. I think the more you can offer, along with any others who've had experience, will make this a great archived thread (even if Mr. Pea thinks I've gone a little archive-crazy). :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree about archiving this one because I for one did not know about the temp restrictions on the varying types.

Really though, finding people who have experience working with ocotopi and reefs is a mini gold mine in terms of saving hassle and money before you begin, so archive it!

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it was said, so shall it be done. Marked for archiving.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little info I need to clear up: Apparently bimacs do OK at temps up to 78, so I guess they'd be OK in a largeish (30 g) nano. One reefer bred them at 72.

The "pygmy" octos that would be ideal for a nano, like 5-10 gallons, are often mislabeled as Octopus joubini. They are most likely Octopus mercatoris. They both come from the Caribbean, but joubini is more likely to come from deeper mudflats that divers usually don't catch from. The Ceph Page (TCP) has all this info, a long list of suppliers of octos for hobbyists and scientists, and many articles on cephalopod husbandry.

BTW, if you're even thinking of keeping a Blue Ringed Octopus, DO NOT. Native Range of Australia + Terrible Shippers + Short Lifespan + Incredibly Fragile + One Bite Will Kill You = The Worst Choice Ever for a Pet. Seems simple, but I still see them being offered for sale.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet kept any octos, but through research I have learned on top of what wombat said
Octos can fit through any hole that is larger than their beak.
Octo can lift fairly heavy weights so a proper hood must be built
Bimacs are less prone to escape attempts, and it helps to have a lower water line.
Bimacs and most other octos dont like very bright lighting.
JJ

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, another truly fascinating relative to keep would be cuttlefishes. I think you would also avoid the issue of escape with a cuttlefish, while having to meet very similar water parameter requirements. Hypnotic, they are.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at what this guy found here, and let's see if I can link his pics, if not, click on his name.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks cool! Cuttles are cool, but they need much larger tanks. There are no cuttles native to N. America either, so they have to be shipped for a long time. Cephs don't ship well at all. The NRCC breeds them in Texas (?) but you have to be a researcher.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding cephalopod escape ability: Has anyone ever heard about carpeting the upper portions of the tank with astroturf? I saw it once at a public aquarium, and it was explained that as long as the individual fibers of the turf are narrower than the suction cups on the tentacles the little beasties can't get enough of a grip to climb out of the tank. I don't know that it works for smaller species. Just a thought.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it used before for Giant Pacific Octopus at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The problem is, if they can stretch their tentacle past it onto a smooth surface, they can get out. I guess you could have an open topped tank, but the astroturf would have to be at least the width of the octopus' arm span. I have no idea how well it would work for a very small octopus either. IMO, best to just go with a tight cover.

I'll be setting up a 10 gallon tank specifically for an octo in the near future (Hopefully O. mercatoris), so I'll be posting pics of the escape proof tank here. Quiet down brandon, I can hear you drooling all the way in California :D :D

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He he you are right, and on that note for the first time my LFS just got one in yesterday! I wont be buying it though, my $$ are reserved for a new planted Amano pico soon to be built. This octo had very interesting behavior Wombat, as he was not hiding at all and was quite active. But, this LFS has a pretty warm temp and this may have been somewhat stressful for the octopus, much in the same fashion as fish that dart around due to too warm water. This octopus was very small, brown, except for one blue dot under the eye. Another dot was symmetrically placed on the other side. I must have watched it for an hour, its face is amazing. It would climb and stick all over the glass, not jumpy, but in a patrolling motion. The person said it was just fed some shrimp pieces. $40, good price if you have the skimmed setup ready to go. For me, maybe next few months but not anytime soon. Lets see the pics when ready!

Brandon

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very likely a bimac. The two blue spots describe the species exactly. (bi=two, macula=spot!). I'm not certain on how to distinguish between bimaculatus and bimaculoides, so if someone knows let us know. Someone somewhere is breeding them and selling to places like ffexpress.com. They had babies last year around Sept. but I missed my chance to get one. I would snatch that guy up if I was you and had the space. He will, however, get big in a very short amount of time.

BTW, $40 is a pretty good price. Most of the online places are about 20-30, plus overnight ends up being 50-60 total. That and his boldness make him a great buy. Most octos hide for a while, anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, before they become active like that. The last one I had hid all the time. I had to sneak up on him to watch him.

iphy

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this may be a dumb question; but, why do they leave? I am trying
think of why a marine critter (with no freakin' bones, fer pete's sake)
would get out of the water. And, having left, do they just die out there
or do they climb back in?

I've been to the Monterrey Bay aquarium and I believe the story was
that they explained they had problems with them eating critters from
nearby tanks. Can't remember if they were supposed to then be
crawling back into their own tanks. But, could they smell the nearby
critters? They shouldn't have been able to see them since the tank walls
are all opaque except the front glass (in general). I guess they could
have smelled the food which the aquarists would be handling near their
tanks, and crawled out in search of that, and happily discovered a nice
captive dinner nearby. But, then why would they leave your tank
(where you are presumably not handling large quantities of lovely
food nearby all the time)?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the story I had seen showed the research area, and there were clear viewing panels. The octos could clearly see where the good stuff was, went out for dinner, and came back home with full bellies. (YUM! Full behlleh)

As for why they might go exploring, well, being the curious creatures we are, I don't think it's all that hard to understand that they might be exploring. I'm sure that more than a few have met their demise, just as we humans have, eh? :lol: Very much like kids, to my mind, but more deadly.

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they go exploring simply because they can. If you've ever seen the Nova special "Incredible Suckers" they show footage of a reef octo in nature crossing over sand to go from one tidepool to another. I have no idea why bimacs don't seem to want to do it in tanks though. They come from intertidal areas (which is probably why they're so hardy), so it seems like they would want to go searching from tidepool to tidepool. They may do it in nature but not in tanks, I don't know. I can say for sure that they will do it when stressed though. My last bimac jumped ship when I put a light over his refugium so he could see better :cry: :cry: He'd been in there 3 months without a top.

I don't know why the octo wouldn't just stay in the tank where food was present either. Most octos have a den that they drag food back into to eat at their leisure, so maybe those octos thought of their home tank as their den.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it is not in a nano, and I really have nothing important to add, but we just got a bimac here at work. He (or she being that I cannot tell the difference) is just a little guy, about thirty milimeters. I didn't have my octopus tank up to snuff, so he had a pretty long acclamation process. Not to mention a pretty long shipping time. He ate yesterday though, and again this morning. I will post pics when I get a minute to take them. I will also post pics of the setup.

Mike

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank did you put him/her in? I'll probably come by sometime Monday to check the little thing out.

Arlan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: