• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been planning a possible setup now since last winter. It may or may not reach reality in the near future, but I thought I would throw up my plans for you all to look over. The budget for this setup will be next to nothing, which is how I got the inspiration for the idea--making those items I have work for me. The plan originally started simple, then turned into a much more complicated system of tidal simulations twice a day...then back to the originally simple setup.

The tank will center around a mangrove habitat (e.g. not just a couple propogules crammed between a couple pieces of LR in the refugium). The actual tank used will be an AGA 30 gal (36x12x17) and be open top. It will be placed right in front of a large east-facing window (the entire tank right up against the window) and will utilize nearly 100% natural light. The only artificial light will probably come from something like a 13W AZoo clip-on or something for viewing in the evening and at night. I set the tank up with some sand and water back in January just to see what kind of light it would get. When the sun comes up and hits the tank, the intensity is nearly blinding as it reflects off the sandbed. Around 11 am-12 pm the sun goes past the roofline and the tank receives some pretty steady indirect light for the rest of the day.

Water flow will consist of either a Duetto internal filter and/or another powerhead. Substrate will primarily be sediment (a.k.a. muck) collected from eelgrass beds over in Puget Sound. This will have a lot of the nutrients that the groves prefer. I will have several inches of this, and then maybe some white sand on top for aesthetics and light reflection to make the most out of the intense hours of sunlight. LR will be kept to a minimum, at most just a couple small pieces, maybe providing some sort of shelter or substrate relief in the tank...but mostly to promote biodiversity, then maybe taken out. I would like to get some good stuff from Tampa Bay or something, but can't justify the cost for the miniscule amount that I would need, but it has some great life on it that I would like to have in the tank (if any of you have a few small pieces of this stuff, maybe we can work something out).

As for the mangroves themselves, I will have 2-3 individual plants in there. I have done much research and internal debating about this. My initial concerns came from Anthony Calfo and his statements that the roots would definitely put pressure on the silicone seals of an aquarium and most likely become an area of concern in the 2-5 year window of the setup. However, I recently discussed this with someone else who does a lot of work in Florida, and they don't see that as much of a concern at all. So I'm going to take a gamble and see what happens. My main goal is to encourage as many possible prop roots as I can. I have read about various ways to do this (styrofoam, tape/stick, etc.) but have been told that bright light does the trick down in Florida, so I'll be going that route as well. As for other plants, I would also like to try some Widgeon grass (Ruppia maritima) in the tank as well to see how it does. I really want this tank crawling with life. I want sponges, tunicates(if they can find enough food), molluscs (same story as the tunicates), microfauna, algaes, snails, etc. all over the place and growing on the roots.

You can probably tell I'm leaning toward a Keys/Caribbean themed tank. Truth be told, I'm a biotopic aquarist and I can't handle mish-moshed community style tanks. It's nothing personal...just how I am. Things need to be from their respective environments and geographic locations for me to be content. One of my biggest voids right now in this tank is the "showcase" organism. This could very well determine how specific I become with the tank (e.g. Indo-Pacific or Caribbean). I'm having a difficult time finding a fish that would do well in such a tank. There's the obligatory Banggai,but I would rather try something different. There are a few species of cardinals found in the mangroves, but I don't think they are very common in the hobby. I'm sure someone here is thinking of mudskippers, but I really don't want those as well. A dragonet would do well. Many juvenile fish use mangroves as a nursery until they reach adulthood and head into open water, but these adult fish are pretty huge...far too large for a 30 gal tank. However, my plan is probably not going to replicate your typical inshore mangrove habitat, but something probably more along the lines of an overwash mangal or dwarf mangrove island, which are found in more open water and may be more likely to have other fish species taking cover in them. If you have any ideas, let me know.

With the natural sunlight, I'm curious as to how well corals and other similar inverts would do. I may try this down the road as well.

That's about all I can think of for now. I just thought I would share what I've been working on and get any feedback you may have. Thanks!

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I think a lot of planning went into this design. All great biotope setups start with exactly what you are doing, the pre-planning Q/A session that tells you what you need to buy and what needs to be left out. Yours is so thoroughly done I think all we will do in here is just nod and say "yep, thats bad _ _ _ when can we see pics? :) )

The thing I like about your setup is the use of natural muds as a nutrient reserve for the tank, required dosing will be nill save for a little calcium and carbonate as usual to make up for our small water volume. The draw on these two componenets will be dictated by your bioloads (hard corals etc) but all else (Ia/trace elements) should stay fairly continual for a very long time. I would be concerned about the faunal balance of this natural mud in your tank; meaning the detritus, pod and worm life is set for the continual water refreshment/dilution and nutrient loads for the region you gathered it from. When you take this collective bunch and put it in a smaller tank with much less import/export it seems other biological balances will emerge, possibly in the form of algae blooms but not if the uptake of the mangroves and grasses you are installing is sufficient. Strong natural sunlight drives captive corals and marine plants at their metabolic max, and it is a great idea to use a balance of quicker-growing eel grasses and the like to do the bulk of your fixation. Mangroves that are densely packed and well lit will fix nitrogen and other nutrients as well, but not as fast as the eel grasses who propagate by runners and are simply faster growers.

This is a tank system that no directions exist for in any book; it will be up to your knowledge and your ability to interpret biological shifts to keep it running clean and for that we will require weekly updates from you after it gets setup!

Awesome idea bro,

BMason

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a very cool idea. I think your latitude is going to be your limitation though. You may be able to keep some shade dwelling softies or non photosynthetic gorgonians, which would look pretty cool, but I think you would have to add supplemental lighting for any photosynthetic corals. Are you in Eastern WA? Pretty sunny out there compared to Seattle/Olympic Penninsula area, I guess, but how many hours a day of sunlight do you get?

I can tell you've researched your planned biotope pretty well. I'm not really aware of which reef fish are found in the mangrove areas and which aren't. Would a jawfish be suitable? Since it might be a Caribbean biotope, maybe a harem of Centropyge argi pygmy angels or a trio of Royal grammas?

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, I have thought about the "saturation" of nutrients I'll be bringing into the tank as well. I know that none of the organisms in the muck will live in the tank, and just figured I would chalk that up as more nutrients. I've talked with someone who has used this sediment as well, and he said there was an initial giant spike from all the die off, then things leveled back out. I don't remember if algae blooms occured afterward, but I was expecting those anyway in this tank. I plan to go pretty slow with this thing, first putting in the sediment and then the plants and then various organisms. I talked about fish up above, but didn't mention that I plan to keep this aspect of the bioload EXTREMELY light.

Matt, I've thought about the daylight period as well up here, and in the winter it gets dark around 5:00 pm. I was curious about photosynthetic saturation, and whether or not a few hours or incredibly intense light would "make up" for the second half of the day with the inderect light. I am in eastern Washington (well, central to be specific...but on the eastern side of the Cascades) and it's clear and sunny 300+ days out of the year over here. Corals aren't a definite in this system, but I will probably want to try down the road if things go well. Again, I want to stick with things that are often found in these types of areas--polyps are the first thing that pop into my head, but I know there are various species of small anemones (corkscrew, etc.) that are found in these environments as well.

As for your fish suggestions, they're all from the Carribean/Keys area but the grammas and cherubs are all from the reef proper. Jawfish are usually in the open sandflats, and I have considered keeping a single yellowhead in this setup, but I've heard they are notorious jumpers and this being an open top tank probably wouldn't work out well.

Thanks for the comments, let me know if you think of anything else to consider. I'll keep you updated!

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I made the first step beyond research today. I have decided against the 30 gal tank basically because of aesthetics and I don't want to wait or mess with building a custom stand for the tank that will look somewhat decent in the dining room (which is where the window is). The current stand is functional, but it's an old iron one with what appears to be rust stains on it, possibly from spilled SW in previous setups. Anyway, the plan is now unfolding in a standard 20 gal tank which is placed on an old sewing table that I painted black and slapped some new hardware on. It makes for a pretty cool little stand, with with a smaller end table next to it with a potted gardenia...heck, it's almost trendy. Almost.

Anyway, today I got tired of just thinking about the whole thing and drug the tank up from the basement, dumped nearly 40 lbs. of Pure Caribbean Aragonite into it, and filled it with water to about an inch below the top. It's cloudy as all get out right now. I think I may forego the muck from the eelgrass beds, at least the idea that I would use that for the majority of the substrate. If I use too much, the real estate in the water column is going to decrease pretty quickly and I still want some area with visual interest. I've got depths currently varying from 1.5"-4". I'll probably infuse the sandbed down the road with some of the nutrient rich sediment when I'm able to make a trip over to Seattle next time. The way I see it, plenty of mangroves do well in sumps and refugiums without all the nutrients like I proposed...so they should do fairly well until then, and what I add will only help.

As far as I know, there are two other serious reefkeepers in my area, and hopefully I can obtain a couple lbs. of LR from one of them to get some life in the tank, as well as a scoop or two of LS. I'll be piecing this system together as I obtain things.

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it's just a tank with FW, a sand storm, and a Duetto filter pushing water...but I'll try to get a friend over with a digital camera maybe in a couple days to get some preliminary shots up.

I tried to contact a source over in Seattle to pick up a few gallons of eelgrass muck for me to infuse the sandbed with some hefty organics...still waiting to hear from him.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: