• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best I can guess is to fill it up 3" with live sand of fine particle size... the DSB wouldn't be deep enough to justify a plenum although I know people using modified UGF's in other larger setups for a working plenum...

I think it is completely your choice to go with sand or no sand, both have pros and cons. If you opt for no sand, use a few LR rubble chips as these are easy to clean around.

Can you get two 13w PC lights for it, one wont be enough to keep you happy...

you can order the bulbs and Azoo Galaxy lights from www.petmeister.com and www.aquaticeco.com.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think UGF's have been recomended for at least 10 years now

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do a plenum in such a small tank. I wouldn't do a DSB for that matter. It's so easy to just make a large water change for nutrient export.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even small spaces of organic accumulation will have measurable effects in a nano/pico, and nothing can beat the cleanliness of a bare-bottom/LR chip setup. However, sometimes its fun to use a fine-particle DSB (stated as DSB not for reduction but for its proportions in a 15" aquarium) to observe the activities of burrowing worms. There are at least ten species I can see right off the bat in the RBowl, and its amazing to watch their tracks change course in the bed during feeding time--there is truly an underworld to be found in a well-established nano DSB but it has tradeoffs...

One thing is for sure, the less sand in the system the less organic buildup you will face (because you can siphon thoroughly) and you can also feed liberally to support other life such as a small fish or two--leftover food and heavy wastes will be easy to remove at water change. DSB nanos have to be fed carefully, because if you overload the ability of the bed to slowly mineralize nutrients trouble is soon to follow. However, system biodiversity increases significantly when worm populations get a foothold in an aged DSB... my DSB is a source of continual nitrate production, but not more than 10-15 ppm continual considering protein input frequency; for my setup its worth it to have the additional infauna to watch.

BallPy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was going to do is take the UGF and remove the tube. Then lay it down in the tank and put sand over it, about 2 or 3 inches. Does sound like a good idea or just go with a bare bottom or just the sand.

BallPy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few pics of the progress in getting the tank ready for the Nano sceen.

Attachments

• 111-1127_img.jpg
    111-1127_img.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,266

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: