• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Ben271

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I am new to reefs.org except for one reply post below. I recently bought and started up a 12g nano cube reef. I am very happy with it so far. I haven't done any improvements...YET!

Stock:
1 Yellow Stripe Maroon Clown Fish
1 Long Tenticled Plate Coral
1 Open Brian Coral
1 Mistery Coral???
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
5 Astrea Snails
5 Hermit Crabs

I would really appreciate any comments as this is my first reef aquarium. I have had MANY Fish only tanks with my best being a 125g show Clear For Life Deluxe turn key system. I sold it 1 year ago with great regret now that I am into reefs. Can someone identify the mistery coral? It is in the bottom right of the aquarium and is purple with green centers. Also I want to build a refug out of my eclipse shown of the bottom of the picture. I would appreciate any detailed plumbing ideas as I have never done this.
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• 106-0635_img.jpg
    106-0635_img.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 815
  • 106-0637_img.jpg
    106-0637_img.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 807
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,
Does the coral have a hard branching skeleton? If so, it looks like Caulastrea. Just about the same requirements as for open brain and plate corals...moderate flow, high lighting, and natural levels of calcium, alkalinity, and pH.

There are an infinite number of ways you can plumb your refugium, but it will be hard to do it w/o drilling either one or both of the tanks. The way I would do it:
Put the two tanks side by side, but elevate the eclipse about 3-6" higher than the JBJ.
Drill two holes in the back of each tank, to fit a 1/2" and 3/4" bulkhead on the back of each.
Put a pump in the back of the JBJ, and pump water into the eclipse via the 1/2" bulkheads.
Have the water gravity flow back into the back of the JBJ with the 3/4" bulkheads.
Regulate the height of water in the eclipse with a standpipe.

The cool thing about the JBJ is a refugium is already built in! Just remove all the bioballs, sponges, and carbon in the back, and replace it with live rock.

Ben271

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left everything stock and all my corals are doing great. I added a few more since my last posting. I'll get pictures up soon.

Ben271

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more recent pictures of the tank. I added a firefish as well as a few corals. Total fish are 1 firefish and 1 maroon clown. Do I have room for a noen blue goby?
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• nanofrontweb.jpg
    nanofrontweb.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 725
  • nanoleftweb.jpg
    nanoleftweb.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 743
  • nanorightweb.jpg
    nanorightweb.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 744

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: