• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, long story short. I lost my power and everything died. So I just started over with new LS and LR (bought it today).
Well a few min ago the power went off for half a sec and then back on. My Power compact balast for my JBJ just melted. It is completely fried. I am glad I had it conected to a power strip or somthing worse could have happened. My question is...
My new tank will be a fish only. Can I just use a NO that came with my hood for cycling my tank and for a fish only, or should I go back and buy a new PC? I could get a bluer bulb for it or does it even matter? I want coraline and everything else to grow (other than corals, because it is a FOWLR), so what should I do?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that, because it's in the nanos forum, it's small, I'm going to encourage you to consider going with NO fish, instead. If you're going to the trouble of worrying about lighting and all, I think you'll have a much easier time of stocking the system keeping the vertebrates out of it. Big bioload with a backbone.

BallPy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant how tall is it. That can be a big factor if he wants the live rock to grow anything other than keeping fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanos are usually considered to be anything 20gals and under.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is incredibly bad luck, sorry about that tank crash bro. I dont think PC or NO is going to affect coralline growth, I think the best you can do for that is seed your tank well with some purple rock and keep the calcium and alkalinity measures up. Also, getting a lfs to put a few pinches of scraped coralline (use a credit card to scrape a display tank and catch it in a fishbag) in your next purchase is a handy way to seed a tank. The choice between PC and NO in my opinion is governed by what corals you eventually want again, and even at that look at what SAHIN has been able to do under normals! I hate to hear of this loss, but you next tank will only have better design and better function based on this first time around.

brandon429

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: