• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently looking at protein skimmers and had seen one in person that created a vortex in the center of it.... the bubbles seems to be injected at the powerhead... any ideas? what size powerhead the thing would require? also it was about 3' tall and about 4" diameter.

Thom

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a SeaClone skimmer if I had to guess but it could be many. If so, I think it was also powered on-board where you didn't have to buy anything. Did it look like this? Decent skimmer I read, never owned one though.

Brandon M.

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it looked to function that same way, i was wondering however why the tube that connects the bottom section to the middle section and the middle section to the top section wasn't completely joined... Also, any ideas on howto create that powerhead?

Also, think it'd be worth it to go with that type of skimmer or the other types?

Thom

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a SeaClone as that's the only skimmer that I know of that makes a vortex in the middle of it. As far as skimmers go, it's pretty poorly designed. Not much bubbles nor much bubble contact time with the water. You'd be better served looking at a different skimmer. They're inexpensive, which people like, but that's really about it. If I were to spend my money it'd be on something like a BakPak, AquaC Remora, or PM HOT-1 or something like that. There are mods you can do to the SeaClone to make it work better, but in my mind it's really not worth it.

Shane

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if to not go with the seaclone... what type? not brand or anything like that but actual type of skimmer.

Thom

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of your skimmer choice will prbably depend on the bio-load that you are going to keep in the tank. If you want a lot of fish, you should probably go with a lot of skimmer. Just about everyone here has a skimmer opinion, and if you search for the word skimmer, you will get all of the advice you need.

I however, (much to the dismay of most of the people around me,) am a die hard DIYer, and think that making some of the big stuff work on the little tanks is one of the most fun parts of having a nano. Furthermore, this thread is one of the Koolest (with a capitol K) DIY skimmer plans that I have read in a long time. I have not put much thought into scaling it down (or if it is even possible), but I think it would be really great if someone could. Just a thought.

Mike

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pretty apprehensive about posting this, due to the ghetto-ality of my own diy project, but I have had great success with a homemade version of the sander's piccolo skimmer. The idea is thus: Take a water bottle, preferably a narrower, tall type, which is about 2 1/2 inches in circumference and about 10 inches tall. Cut the bottom inch to inch and a half off of the bottom, saving the bottom piece. Put a small lee's airstone in the container at the lowest point of the open bottle by cutting a small hole about one half of an inch from the bottom, the hole being the size of an airline tubing. Take the bottom cutoff piece and cut a hole in the center of it, roughly the size of the bottle mouth. This will be the collection cup. Put the "collection cup" on top of the mouth of the bottle, I cut mine the same size of the threads the cap went onto, then twist it on and seal it with silicon. Add airline and pump and submerge the open end. Now, mind you, I have mine sitting in the first compartment of my eco 40 hang on, so it is cleverly disguised, but I think that this will work with any hang on fuge, small power filter, whatever. The level of the water in the chamber needs to be fiddled with, but a good starting point is about 2" from the top of the mouth. Mine produces a good dry skimmate all the time, and is way more effective than it sounds. If you just had it in your tank, a pair of cable ties and small suction cups would aid in positioning it on the glass. Also, a piece of plastic or whatever will need to be placed over the collection cup as well, as you will find (as I did) a tall tower of foam sticking out of the mouth of the thing in no time. Give it a try, it's tiny,it does work, but it is kinda ugly.
Good luck!
Joey

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good, thanks for the info joey... i was thinking about doing the design at the mote... which i saw in person... Anyway any reef keepers here in sarasota? I'd be interested in possibly conversing about thoughts and ideas related to this topic...

Thom

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the skimmer that was in bleeding blues thread. It works nicely... took about two days to build completely because I was reducing the scale and found that most hardware stores didn't carry the size PVC that I had wanted, but that they could order it... anyway, I ended up getting help from a friend and we just finished the thing tonight. The silicon is drying right now, but should be donwn by tomorrow for some testing. I did test most of the functionality of the device earlier though. with the main pipe being about a 1 1/4 diameter... and the smaller tubing being 3/4in it seems that the whole device will work smoothly. this is running the thing on a 160gph pump. This friday, maybe thursday i will get a 300 or 600gph pump. Seems like it could have potential.

Thom

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the skimmer that was in bleeding blues thread. It works nicely... took about two days to build completely because I was reducing the scale and found that most hardware stores didn't carry the size PVC that I had wanted, but that they could order it... anyway, I ended up getting help from a friend and we just finished the thing tonight. The silicon is drying right now, but should be donwn by tomorrow for some testing. I did test most of the functionality of the device earlier though. with the main pipe being about a 1 1/4 diameter... and the smaller tubing being 3/4in it seems that the whole device will work smoothly. this is running the thing on a 160gph pump. This friday, maybe thursday i will get a 300 or 600gph pump. Seems like it could have potential.

Thom

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thom,

Sounds great. I cannot wait to see pictures. However, I must point out that I cannot take any credit for the actual skimmer plan. I just saw them and thought that they were cool. I hope it runs smoothly.

Mike

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmer works, need to put at least a 300gph pump on it though... i've gotten it to run and need to check a couple areas to make sure they aren't leaking... otherwise i will get pics soon and show you what it looks like... kinda bulky for a 25gal tank, but i'm sure it'll do a great job.

Had a slight problem though... i had put an urchin in my tank to clean up some problem algae... it seemed to have a taste for xenia and got both of the ones in my tank... sad note because they were almost doubled in size since i bought them about 2 months ago. :cry:

Thom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: