• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a while of planning everything out and reading through countless forums I've finally decided on everything for my 10g SPS tank, I will be going skimmerless which seems to be the thing to do with nanos and go with the weekly waterchanges

10g AGA
PFO 250w DE HQI Mini-Pendant
AquaClear 300 with Biomedia taken out and filled with LR rubble
100w ebo jager heater
2 minijet 606 powerheads
15lbs LR / LS

What do you guys think?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Are you going to have a fan along with that PFO 250w DE HQI Mini-Pendant? If you do, I'd strongly recommend putting some sort of auto-topoff system on there to help minimize salinity swings. Post pics when you get it going.

-AM-

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it looks really good. With that kind of lighting, you will be able to keep anything. Plus, you should have enough room to put the heater and such in the hob filter. The only thing that I might consider is a little more flow. I use 2 maxijet 1200's on my six gallon, and I think that it is just right. Most sps like a fair amount of flow.

Also, you might want to look into getting some sort of wavemaker. Most sps like the flow to be rather caotic. Here is a link to one on sale for only $45.

Somehow, I get the feeling that this is going to be a great little nano. Post pics as you go. Good luck.

Mike

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a MH1200 on a 6 gallon? That seems like a lot of flow on such a small tank but if it works go with it. I was trying to keep all the equipment in my tank small and less distracting, I have never had any experience with the minijet so i figured I would give it a try was considering the microjet but the flow rate was rather low on them. Well either way if it doesn't work whats a maxijet like $12-15 no big deal. How high do you think the pendant should be suspended from the water?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good to me too. i love you avatar by the way it is very colorful!

i think i am keeping my 29 gallon after all. wow looks like the forum is picking up. woo hoo.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparent,
I have a Maxi 1200 and a maxi 606 (?) on my 6 gallon. The total turnover is 295 + 160 gph, or 455 gph. The actual water volume is only 4 gallons, so this is over 100X the total water volume per hour! IMO, the recommended rate of 10X the total water volume per hour is irrelevant in a nano. I'd get two opposing maxijet 1200s on a wavemaker if I had your tank....just my 2 cents.

BTW, the maxijets are not much larger than the minijets, and all the different models of maxijet are the same exact size.

I would hang that MH at least 8" from the water surface. 12" would be better.

HTH, Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: