• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little research, I purchased one of the new 12 gallon JBJ nano cubes. It's currently cycling with some live rock. As a whole, I'm quite pleased with the tank. The size and shape will allow for some nice aquascaping. The usable area within the tank is approximately 14 inches wide by 12 inches deep and 12 inches tall. An additional 3 inches of depth are included for the integrated filter compartments.

The lighting seems adequate for a variety of soft corals, and the 106 gph pump seems to push enough water to create some nice currents with few dead spots.

The integrated filter compartment has three partitions to make 4 separate areas. The intake is on the left most side, and that partition contains 2 foam prefilter blocks. The next partition contains some coarse ceramic pieces with a generous supply of carbon on top. Next is a foam block with 6 bio-balls that sit on top. The final compartment houses the return pump which is plumbed through the rear divider. The return pump also has a small airline hose split off from the output to provide a trickle of water for the bio-balls.

When I purchased the tank, the store employee mentioned something about needing to cut a piece of acrylic to block one of the dividers. I didn't know what he meant until I got home. The dividers are all open on the bottom with some other slits cut throughout their length. While this is great for promoting flow through the filter medium, it makes each filter chamber have the same water height. This makes the wet/dry section always wet. I fixed this problem by cutting some scrap acrylic to fit next to the middle divider, and it forces all water to go up and over into the bio-ball chamber. (I had to silicone this in place, which was a challenge given that I couldn't get my hand inside the small compartments.) This allows two separate water heights, with the bio-ball and return pump chamber filled halfway. I have to admit I was a little disapointed at this "feature." I would have thought this kind of problem would have been worked out before the tank went to market. It was an easy enough fix, but it should not have been necessary.

Anyway, I still relatively pleased with the clean design of this tank. The curved glass is easy too look through and the bowed front gives a slight magnifcation effect without other distortion. The canopy has a small front section the opens for feedings, and the entire canopy can be held open with some small plastic supports for maintenance.

Attachments

• partition.png
    partition.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 7,429
  • canopy.png
    canopy.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 7,500
  • 292850437.jpg
    292850437.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 7,424

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the stocking plan so far:

Fish:
1 Pseudochromis (I haven't settled on exactly which one yet, possibly fridmani or diadema).
1 firefish

Corals:
a variety of blue/green mushrooms from my 2.5 gallon and some others propagated from the 29 gallon tank.
Small green star polyps.
Anthelia (propagated from 29 gallon)
A large leather coral as a center piece (Sinularia sp.)

Inverts:
a few small snails
maybe a cleaner shrimp?

Attachments

• 292844677.jpg
    292844677.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 7,378
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks really great so far, I hope to get one of those soon.
Your coral stocking plan looks good. All those species should do well in that tank. I would be a little concerned about the fish though. IME, pseudochromids harrass firefish relentlessly, even in large (Mine was 80 gallons) tanks. I've heard fridmani are a little more peaceful, but I have no first hand experience. Good luck, and post more pics as your tank evolves.

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":3mxezpkk said:
I would be a little concerned about the fish though. IME, pseudochromids harrass firefish relentlessly, even in large (Mine was 80 gallons) tanks. I've heard fridmani are a little more peaceful, but I have no first hand experience.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll re-think my fish stocking plans. That thread on "fish for nanos" is a big help, but maybe we could follow up with some discussion on interaction between/within the species.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, I like that idea. Some fish that get along great in larger tanks will kill each other in nanos, and that would be a great resource. Thanks for the idea.

gobywankenobi

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to the site, new to reef systems... hi!

i just recently got one of those nanocubes and was wondering why there was no "dry" in the "wet/dry" filter. the setup in the store (which looked real nice and healthy) didn't make the adjustments you did (bioballs just floating around in the back), so i was wondering... how's it working? should i interupt my cycling to drain it and glue in that partition? what do you think? or will live sand and live rock be enough to filter it?

i also can't seem to bring the temp down below 84 degrees.

any help or ideas would be wildly appreciated.

thanks.

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gobywankenobi (love the alias, very clever). Welcome to the nano forum.

I think the wet/dry compartment is not dry simply because of poor design. I can't imagine that floating bio-balls would have any filtration effect whatsoever, and I'm dissapointed that they advertise it as wet/dry filtration on the box. However, I'm pleased with everything else about the tank, and overall I think it's a good design.

My little wet/dry modification is working great, but it remains to be seen if it will produce excessive nitrates. I can always remove the bio-balls if that's the case, but a wet/dry has other benefits such as increased gas exchange.

If you have enough rock/sand, you should be able to use that as the primary filtration. I don't know if I would interrupt the cycle just to glue in another partition. Most of the nano-reefs you see on this forum use live rock/live sand only for filtration. I wanted to try the small wet/dry to see how it would work on such a small tank.

The temperature on mine hovers around 81-82 degrees. This is a bit high, and 84 is definitely approaching a dangerous level. It doesn't give you much room for error. It looks like you can probably install a small DC fan in the hood. The rear vents seem to already have mounting points for this. That will definitely cool things down, but I'm not sure how much evaporation this will cause.

I'm attaching a few updated pictures. I added the mushrooms and green star polyps from the 2.5 gallon and I recently purchased a nice finger leather (sinularia sp.) that seems to be doing very well.

Attachments

• leather_coral.jpg
    leather_coral.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 7,300
  • tank_shot.jpg
    tank_shot.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7,372

Ben271

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am new to these groups and wanted to join in. I bought the nano cube about 2 months ago. I currently have 1 wild maroon yellow stripe clown fish who immediatly adopted my long tenticled plate coral. I also have a red/green open brain coral and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp. I just added the pumping Xenia today and as you can see is still aclimating. The only thing I have in my back partitions is the 3 foam pieces and the carbon. Should I put the ceramic in there? I to was wondering about the whole "wet/dry" thing when I started it up. I was also wondering what the heck that little tube of squerting water was. It really bothered me how none of this was explained, but am also very happy with everything else. I use the little tube to break up the surface water in the filtration area. If anyone has any suggestions and/or questions please feel free.
Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• 106-0626_img.jpg
    106-0626_img.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7,278
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,
Welcome to Reefs.org!
If you'd like, start up a new thread featuring your tank with pics, description, etc...

I, for one, would like to see more pics of your tank. I'm personally in love with maroon clowns :D :D

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben, Thanks for posting the picture....looks good so far.

I don't see how adding the ceramic should hurt anything. It will just add some extra surface area for bacteria.

I'm currently using the little tube of water from the pump to trickle water over the bio-balls. That's the only thing I can see it being used for. Unfortunately, the wet/dry isn't "dry" out of the box, so the "little tube of squirting water" serves no purpose for most people.

Brian

sukeband

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st thing I did when getting my nanocube......

Remove the giant "NanoCube" sticker from the front. I encourage anybody to do this as it helps the tank out alot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, good suggestion. I just picked up one of these yesterday, and I'm impressed with the overall quality. However, I plan on making a few design changes.

1) Block the lower intake strainer. The water should be overflowing into the sump portion, and the lower one means that the sump and tank will have the same water level. I may have to throw on another little overflow box like the one I built on my tank as well.

2) Do SOMETHING with all those little compartments back there, maybe take one out. Just one divider too many for me. Of course, I took out all the sponges/bioballs/detritus traps, and I'm putting LR back there.

3) Get a bigger pump, perhaps a maxijet 1200, and drill a larger hole in the pump return outlet. I don't know why they have such a small hole, especially with a pump that's rated pretty low for that size tank anyway. All it will do is restrict the pump output.

4) Place some weather stripping around the rim of the front glass, to help with evaporation and also to block the light that shines through the crack between the hood and tank. It's kind of annoying.

5) There seems to be a small gap between the main tank, light, and sump that a smart little pseudochromid could jump through. I'll have to find a way to seal that as well, because catching a fish in that cramped little sump is probably impossible.

Ben271

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would REALLY b interested in seeing pictures along the way of the equipment and livestock. Right now I have the spongews in place and the carbon. Should I take out the sponges and put in live rock? Does the live rock need light back there? Also, Could you elaborate a little more on your outlet design? I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ben

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben,

Some people use mechanical filtration (sponges), some don't. I prefer not to have them. I only use carbon one or two days a month as well. What you choose to do is your own decision, there's really no one "right way" to do it.

If LR were kept in the back sump part, it wouldn't need light. All sorts of cool stuff will grow on LR without light, like feather dusters, sponges, etc. In any case, I think a bit of light gets back there anyway.

For the outlet, I was planning on just widening the hole. If I could, I'd stick a little tee in there to divert flow two different directions, but this seems overly elaborate. It's just going to have a couple fish, and maybe a very hardy coral like Sinularia, but that's it. No need to get fancy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get one of these soon to replace my 7 gallon bowfront. I'm going to replace the 24w PC with a 32w PC though, maybe two. There is enough room! I just don't want to create too much heat.

Jim

dgasmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a few questions for you. I was looking at getting the Eclipse one, but this one looks nice too. I want it for seahorses and zoantids.

-Does it have any room whatsoever for a small skimmer? Which kind would fit it?
-How much did it set you back?
-Does the PC come with it already?

Thanks. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how easy it would be to fit more lighting in. The waterproof section of the hood houses a ballast and bulb, so if you took both out and had an external ballast, I suppose you could fit two 32W bulbs in. It looks conceivable to have a 13W bulb over the refugium as well, but you would have to waterproof the bulb/socket somehow.

I don't know of any commercially available skimmer that could fit in the back section. A HOB skimmer is impossible because of the hinged hood. I've built airdriven skimmers out of PVC that might work for about $10. Unfortunately, there isn't much clearance height in the hood for a collection cup. You could try lowering the water level, but then you've got a shorter contact time with the bubbles. The back sections are about 2-1/2" by 3", so 2" PVC could be used, but I think any skimmer you could fit back there would be virtually worthless. Much easier to just go with WCs, some activated carbon, and plant growth.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed about the skimmer. Useless on a nano IMO anyway. Waterchanges take 2 minutes! :D

About the lighting, I was going to use an external balast, and make/bend my own reflector.
I use a 32w PC on my 7 gallon, and wouldnt' want to go with any less on that cube. Although I've seen the cube set up, and visually I have to admit I can't tell much of a difference.

Jim

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on another board upgraded the lighting on one of these, but they had to chop the hood up pretty bad to do it. I think they added another 18 or 24 watt PC or something. I like the little compact/clean look to this tank, so I definitely don't want to do mess it up by making it look like a science experiment. Also, heat might be an issue with more light. Mine hovers around 82 degrees as it is.

eight2178

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard a lot about this jbj setup, i got one (almost) identical to this, but it was made by some other company...mine also came with the pc lights, and the EXACT same "wet/dry" filtration...i left mine as is, and have had no problems with anything in there...i have a feather duster, pulsing xenia, some sort of bubble tip anenome, some gsp and zoos. it's been running now for about 3-4 months...oh, i have one false percula also, and some hermits and snails....the ONLY difference i can see between mine and the jbj is that mine has 2 fans wired to the lights, so when the lights come on, so do the fans. they blow over the back part(filtration...)...my temp has been a steady 76, nite and day, lights on or lights off since i started it....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: