• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this isnt very important but i was talking to a friend and we were unsure what size tank people call a nano. i have a 29 gallon.

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that NANO is little tanks. Anything over 10 gallons is pretty big. However, you can't very well say that a 20 gallon is a large tank either. 29 Gallons is pushing 30 though, and 30 is definitely not a NANO. So, I think to answer your question: 10 and under is nano, 30 and over is big reef, 10-30 is grey area, and, while you fall into this area, you are really on the high end. I'm sure posting pics on the NANO forum wouldn't hurt though, you just may get better insight on the Bigger Forums.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say anything under 20 gallons total water volume is a nano (that includes sump, refugium, whatever is connected to your tank).

-AM-

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I consider a 1000 gallon tank "nano" sized compared to the ocean...but for the purposes of this forum I think it's whatever you want to make it. There's a lot of good info on here about where to find smaller items like tiny heaters, powerheads, and what kind of lighting to put over a 5 gallon tank. Brandon429 has discussed a lot of the biological and engineering issues with really small tanks here too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally advise folks that anything appreciably under 30gals is, effectively, a nano. I say this in large part because of stocking density issues with such small sizes. I believe that most would agree that anything under 20 definitely would be considered nano, although we should remember that there is other terminology for such small sys's. Think pico, femto.

From Bob's forum listings: Nano/Pico Reef Systems
Smaller than the ubiquitous 'mini-reef' and far, far more challenging. Typically 20 gallons or smaller.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: