• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is the aquamedic mini cooler. it is a thermo electric cooler. it has a rather large heat sink and is rated for a 40g tak. it is no bigger than two childrens shoe boxes stacked on top of each other..

it can heat or chill. masicly reverst the plug around and you are good to go.

I saw it plumed using a canister filter.... an eheim ecco.... the smallest one.

i think i am gonna pick one up for my 20g sea-clear. that damn acrylic insullates too much.... or maybe i will move it to a 20g glass tank...

i dunno

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
custom aquatic sells it. and so does the LFS i frequent.

much better than the AZOO.. the azoo is poorly put together.... this thing is neat and tidy....

go to www.customaquatic.com/ click on chillers, the aquamedic..

it is the 150w thermo-electric chiller... if u click on see details.... it will show you a pic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for a small chiller that's reasonably priced, check out the Ice Probe. I have not personally used this product, but search RDO and RC, several nanophiles have used them and had good things to say.

Here are some links to sites that sell them:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... CatId=4902

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch_iceprobe.asp?CartId=

And here is the manufacturer's link:

http://www.coolworksinc.com/coolproducts.htm

It's more of a DIY chiller as you can/will see but I HTH.

Nathan

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I know I am not nearly as smart as I like to think I am, but the iceprobe just looks like a giant heat sink hooked up to a fan. How does this work any better than evaporative cooling by just hooking up a bunch of fans to blow across the top of the water. I am so confused.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're probably right Mike, but it would be much better looking than several clip on fans on your tank, and probably more efficient too. Hooking up fans to the top of the water is going to increase your evaporation as well, which might cause some problems (at least with your topoff method) with the pH spiking, etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the site says the Aquamedic is rated up to 20 gallons with a 4 degree pulldown. Might be useful for a 10 gallon or so, but it's almost as big as the tank!

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're definetely going to need more than a 4 degree pulldown in AR... you'd need more than that here!

-AM-

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Iceprobe is Peltier-type chiller, using thermoelectric principles to cool on contact. Peltiers pass current over a plate and draws heat from one side of the plate to the other side. Thus, one side gets chilled and the other side gets hot. The fan cools the hot side so it doesn't overheat.

Peltiers are very limited in how much cooling they can perform. The 55W Iceprobe uses one of the larger peltiers that's affordable. These type of cooling devices are used to cool overclocked CPUs :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ben,
How quiet are these things? And how much heat do they release back into the rooms. It sounds like something I'm looking for. The Iceprobe I used to use won't cut it for a 20g ... not if I plan on using halides again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: