• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bugman426

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. i just set up a 10 gallon nano reef--so far i have a ESU MiniMight light. i also have 2 mushrooms. i have a Penguin 125 for filtration. on the mushroom rocks are a couple of weird things----there is a what appears to be an extremely small white featherduster > < about that wide. there is also a white starfish on the mushroom rock. are these bad or good?

also, there is brown algae growing on the sand and my mushroom rock--how do i get rid of this--the tank has only been set up for about a week and a half

thanks

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

The feather dusters are perfectly safe. As for the algae, the best way to manage them is to manage your nutrient levels. This means to use RO water to top off and mix water, do more water changes, use better quality carbon (I recommend SeaChem's Matrix or Hydrocarbon) instead of the one that comes with the penguin, and considering getting a hang-on skimmer for your nano. All these will reduce nutrients and prevent future algae blooms.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: