• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an anchor coral which came in 2 parts, i.e. there were 2 frags on one rock. the first frag died instantly, but the second one has been doing fine for about a month now. however, now it isn't looking too good, because the polyps are only extended a little under a half of an inch. i have it pretty close to the light, and calcium and ph are good. the tank temp is kinda high though, around 84 or 85 at times. is this the reason for the lameness, or is it something else? nitrate? i just don't know, we didn't have lps in davis.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be many things, including the temperature being too high. There could also be a build up of nutrients that the anchor coral doesn't like, so a water change might help as well. Also, anchor corals don't need a whole lot of light (I forget what you are using) so you might not need to place it so high.

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matt wandell said that putting it closer to the light would help it. it has only gotten worse since then, could the light be hurting it? i have it about 4" away from a 2x28 kit. i did a water change, and it looks a little better. i changed about 75% of the water. the other piece is all dead now. also, why does my xenia always look perfect. it grows all the time, but my anchor coral and button polyps don't look as good. bleeding blue said that xenia was a good indicator of water quality. are these other things just more picky? thanks len for replying to this matter.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the person you got it from make it close up before he transferred it? I've had a couple frogspawn heads die on me from not doing this before transferring them. From what I've heard, Euphylia sp. can be damaged pretty easily from their own weight by forgetting to do this. HTH.

-AM-

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention Dan, how did you acclimate the little guy? How long did it look good? What is your ph? Are you adding calcium and buffer? How much and how quickly? Just thinking outloud.

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: