• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out pictures of my Nano in Progress (NIP).

Specs:
10-gallon
Closed Loop with MaxiJet 600
Sanders Air Driven Protein Skimmer with Dolphin Air Pump
96W PowerQuad Power Compact
Homemade reflector (old aluminum server case)

I had some bits and pieces laying around from upgrades to my 65-gallon reef and a former nano (96W ballast, MaxiJet 600, Sanders Skimmer from an old nano, etc.) so I built this for about ~$100 (bulb and moisture resistant endcap was about 1/2 of this cost at www.hellolights.com). I just purchased a Millineum 1000 which I will rip out all the mechanical filtration and use as a mini-hang on refugium. The plan is to take some live rock, sand, caulerpa and frags from my 65-gallon as it is packed with about 150 lbs. of rock (from prior nano and mother-in-law's former 30-gallon reef). I am going to set it up when I move in a couple months and will post pics. What do you think so far?

Thanks,

Lee

Attachments

• nano front.jpg
    nano front.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,468
  • nano back.jpg
    nano back.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,464
  • nano powerquad.jpg
    nano powerquad.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,471

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean looking setup! Is that PVC pipe? Do you plan on adding an additional powerhead? That light setup is very cool looking also.

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Wombat. Yeah, that's a 4" PVC pipe I cut in half and cut slots in the top as an overflow. I admit, it is not pretty but it will be blocked by coralline and rockwork soon enough. The light pictures really make the light look purple but it is actually a nice 03/actinic with 10,000K. There are 4 tubes (white/blue/white/blue). I am really impressed with the color. Heat may be a factor but I do have a one inch gap in the top and an open back. I may end up adding a fan and extra powerhead if necessary. Now I just want to figure out a discrete kalk topoff setup since it will be in my kids' playroom.

Lee

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any concern about excessive bubbles since the water being drawn for the recirc is coming from the skimmer compartment? Or do sanders leak very little bubbles (I had a Picollo a long time ago, but never got around to using it).

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking at your pictures as well Lee and I like the way you have plumbed it and installed the skimmer, your system can handle quite the bioload considering its a nano. Can think of a few fish Id like to see in there among the SPS... suprise us with your updated pics when they are ready. Canopy is great and its packed with about as much lighting as you could ask for...its a very clean-cut custom nano, and will be able to grow just about any coral you can think of.

Brandon

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wombat's topoff design looks very reliable and hassle free. Id say toss in a cup of limewater, and let the dosings begin for the next few days. Its neat how the topoff unit sits behind the main tank as opposed to below it, good space useage if its in a room on a dresser or shelf like you mentioned Lee.

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leonard,

The excessive bubbles from the skimmer has crossed my mind. In the bulhead, I installed a 90 degree ell pointed downward which may help. If not, I may see if it will fit in the Millineum I ordered or just do away with it all together. Like everyone else, I enjoy tinkering with different setups and tweaking until it works. I'll have to see. Since I'm not going to set it up until after I move (hopefully next month), I may fill it up and play with it next time I do a water change on my 65G.

Brandon,

I'll check out Wombat's topoff. What kind of fish would you put in there?

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wombat,

That is a very nice sump and topoff setup. I think I found a new project!

Lee

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is the space required for the float valve. A float switch might take up less space and work just as well. It's hard to see, but I had to saw the arm off the valve and superglue it back together in order to fit it in that sump. Another option is the "water cooler" method of topoff which is nearly invisible in your tank. Personally, I think you can manually topoff if you don't get too much evap. You could cover your tank with a piece of acrylic and you would still get good gas exchange with that skimmer. You would just have to remember to do it everyday. Calcium could be supplied with B-Ionic or something similar that wouldn't spike the pH in your tank. If you do decide to do a setup similar to mine, a piece of advice: Buy two extra washers for each bulkhead. TRUST ME.

For fish, you could do something like a small clown or goby pair. I saw a shrimp/goby pair at the LFS store the other day in a cube that couldn't have been more than a gallon. Very neat!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous little setup, but you got my hopes up for something else when you said 'nip'. :wink: :P :P

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, Heh. I knew that would get people to read.

Thanks for the compliment on my NIP, Sharkky.

Lee

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, finally moved and got it set up. What do you think? I think I'll add a little more rock and a fish or two. Evaporatiom is about 1/2 quart per day. No problems with bubbles from skimmer.

Lee

Attachments

• na,no1
    14.1 KB · Views: 327

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn Lee, and I was just starting to think my tank was looking good. I like the pvc overflow. simple, and space saving. I also like the look of the closed loop. Powerheads just take up too much space to be in a nano. It also doesn't look like you are having any microbubble problems. As far as a topoff, I am wondering why more of our fellow nano reefers don't look into more float switches (or electric water level swithces). I have seen quite a few diy float switches, and I think that you could hide a nice little float switch in your 4" pvc pipe. You could hook it up to a little microjet that only drips in kalk, and set it behind your tank. Discuss amoungst yourself.

Mike

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually using a Madison liquid level float hidden behing the pvc overflow with a kalk resevor and microhet pump for top offs. The top off container is a 1.5 quart sterilite container behind the tank. I am thinking about adding a larger resorvoir but for now it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the compliment. I'll post more as I get more fish/coral.

Lee

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,

Thanks for the compliment. Not sure about clams as I had a bad experience with t gold maxima in my 65g. It was about 6 months old (about 5" wide) and it died. Not sure why as all water parameters and lighting (2x175 mh and 96w pc actinic) should have been enough to keep it alive. I may try another one, just not sure right now.

Lee

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lee, and a bump for you as well. We would like to see how the overflow and topoff design turned out, hope you catch us before it floats back to page 4...

It should have some nice coralline on it now, and it will be neat to see your fish/coral choice over the last few months.

Brandon M.

Lee1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

Thanks for the bump. I actually had to put the top off on hold for a bit while I batteld cyano in my 65G. I guess it was to be expected with the move - stirred up a bunch of stuff. I didn't lose anything in the move, but cyano can be frustrating and time-consuming. The good news is I think I about have it kicked.

Now, for the nano update, I'll post 3 pics. I added a yellow watchman goby and a yellow wrasse (been MIA for 2 months so I guess he managed to go for a carpet crawl, but I have not been able to see or smell him?). Corraline is starting to grow on ugly PVC overflow, but I am guessing it will take another few months for more complete coverage. Corals are still limited to shrooms, xenia frag and green star polyps, but I hope to start adding some frags. See what you think and thanks for the bump/reminder.

Lee

Attachments

• nano7.29.jpg
    nano7.29.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,248

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: