• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i setup yet another nano today bringing my total to 3. this one is only 1 gallon(my smallest yet) and already i have many things in it. 2 lbs LR 1.5 lbs LS, and 2 blue leg hermits. i have a nightlight bulb for lighting right now until i get a 13 watt PC i have a micro jet water pump hidden in the back and the temp is always between 70-73 F. anything else i need to include? i have some other stuff to add but this is the basic design. my 10 gallon nano has been setup with no LR because i am getting some dwarf seahorses from the florida collector. anything wrong with this? anything i forgot? below is the list of what i plan on doing to complete this tank.

LIGHTING: 1 small 13-watt betta tank clip lights
FILTER: “mignon”
INHABITANTS: 1 “sexy shrimp” 2 blue leg hermit crabs 1 margarita snail 1 nessarious snail
CORALS: very small amount obviously but I want some blue mushrooms, some zoanthids, and 1 yellow gorgonian along with some small cluster duster tube worms, and a frag of red gorgonian, and aiptasia… yes aiptasia

-Herb

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I think you have everything ready to load it down with corals as soon as you get the lights. I hope you are blessed with one heck of a stable heating/ac system! as long as it is, you will be fine with that temp.

I think you will like your 1g and less setups better if you can find a way to insert a 6inch heater into them, that way you can always try to overcool the systems and let the heater kick in when its too much (as in night time)
most of your corals will grow better at the warmer temps in my O, I keep my reefs now at about 80-83 continuously.

Get these lights if you can Fish man, I love em!

www.aquaticeco.com and run a site-search for Azoo Galaxy light. THen order the 13watt reef bulbs from www.hellolights.com and youll have exactly what I use on each of my palmtop reefs. Get those fans ready because after you add two of these bad boys I think even a central ac won't be enough to cool them correctly.

Good luck and Im glad to hear of your new tank, get us some pics when you can. Be prepared to dose the setup with liquid calcium and alk components if you want to keep it going for the long haul. Tiny setups place a heavier demand on alkalinity componenets due to acids produced in the system internally via various metabolic activites.

Brandon M.

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can grab one. not much yet but its been setup and got some LR... 2 blue legs, and 1 nessarious snail. here ya go... i have the zoanthids planned for the small open patch on the left side. they already come on a piece of LR. and the other stuff will be in there in open patches along with the space under the LR which leads to a cave behind it... its pretty cool, for being setup for 2 days and the Micro jet is already starting some corraline algae growth in the front..(i used it in another nano for a week)

Attachments

• im000316.jpg
    im000316.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,367

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was planning on a 13 watter for the light, how much should i get if i plan to have zoo's shrooms, and some marine plants (halimeda, and mernans brush< from florida colector)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 watts x 2 bulbs is enough to keep most organisms. Not to discourage, but keeping maiden's hair calcareous algae alive in a nano/pico is tougher than any coral you could try. They need strong light and good calcium support (beyond what water changes replenish) for the best chance. I figured my picos had enough nutrients-in-solution to support them, but maidens hair and another form of broad-leaved (gen/sp?) calcareous algae never make it very long when I bring them home from the LFS> good luck if you do try it, I figure anything is possible. Maybe there is a nutrient or additive the algae would benefit from that I don't use> one can always find a rule to break in reef keeping, be it size or organisms supported by a particular tank...

Good luck and the setup is coming along nicely.

B

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to answer your first question, I think one 13w pc will do just fine for zoanthids and mushrooms. 2x13w would be better for hard corals//

The mushrooms may trumpet up to the light as the weeks go by, but mine do this in the reefbowl and they are still reproducing and thriving just fine. "Trumpeting" in disk anemones is a sign of low light, but after 19 months I say the extension is getting enough light for them to survive.

I would say that anywhere you can successfully keep halimeda you could also keep maiden's hair...its worth a shot but I think it may take a special additive of some kind above what we normally use and bright light. Not necessarily a brand name additive, could be elemental Fe or Mg for example that is in short supply in a pico/nano tank.

Good luck bro

B

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting the maidens hair and halimeda from the package deal from florida collector.... so since i am getting the 10 gallon kit, i will have 6 of each to do whatever with... off topic but do you think adding them to my 75 gallon FO will reduce the algae, im having a bad time with it... realy bad brown mostly... some green

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say they would not make a notable impact on nitrogen, phosphorus etc. People generally keep these guys for their biodiversity and looks, as they do not assimilate leaf structure quickly like the common macros and are not as effective as scrubbers. They still uptake N and P but not at an advantageous rate... Ive never kept them for extended periods however, if someone here has please chime in and lets talk about what you have observed as far as speed of growth and tissue assimilation. Have seen large 240 setups with bushes of halimeda and maidenhair, beautiful.

Any of you ten-15 galloners keep these algae for extended periods?

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man you beat me to posting that 1 gallon. I have the exact same one! I've been running it for about 2 months now. I have a small heater that keeps the tank a constant 82 degrees and I have very little evap, It's awsome. I got the tank at miejers for like 10 bucks. There is 1.75 lbs. of LR and a crushed coral substrate. I chose the crushed coral substrate becuse the power head is sitting on the bottom behind the rock (hiding), and I didn't want a sand storm in the tank. Current live stock includes 3 blue leged hermits, and one nassrius snail, also all the hitchhikers which are doing suprisingly well. I to am looking for a nicer light than the nightlight bulb it came with. Problem is I love the lid that is keeping the evap to a bare minimum. I may add a neon golby.

Fish_man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking aboput a neon goby but then i said how about a pair of shrimp instead, they can keep the place clean, not get lonely and not eat my corals wither... and the lightlight bulb must be a standard except mine is completely removable so i can add whatever i need to light the thing, and i really like the idea they had when they put the plastic cover over the tank followed by the actual canopy cover.

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shalegac,

I think this is the perfect time to steer the conversation to the ever ellusive LEDs in a nano discussion. I have been looking at some of the 1g tanks in the pet stores, and have noticed that the LED setup I made for my nano would fit perfectly in one of those little nightlight fittings. You would have to be willing to fork out a couple $$, as the Luxeon LEDs are a little pricey, but I think they could work great in such a small application. Maybe you could even get a little fancy, and get 1 5w white Led and a couple of 1w blue ones. This is exactly the situation that I think these little lights will be most effective.

Sorry to everyone who is sick of the subject, but this is exactly the plan I had come up with for similar reasons. I am just far too lazy to impliment another tank plan so quickly.

Mike

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, were to start. LED stands for light emitting diode. They are basically, the little red light that lights up when you push a button on your television remote control. They are completelly sealed in resin, and because of this, do not tend to loose their intensity or color as quickly as the MHs & PCs that we are used to. They also don't take as much power to run. However, as far as I know, only one person has been successful using them to light a reef. They are not practicle on big tanks, and may not even be practicle on these little ones. We are the ones that have to figure it out. Check out this thread in the nano forum from a while back. Then, when you are thoroughly confused, you will be in the same boat as the rest of us. 8O

Mike

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,
I almost started a new thread to discuss the possibility of a LED for this Nano. I honestly wouldn't no where to start, I've never delt with LED's. So if you know how I could get started that would be awsome.

Attachments

• 4258378290b.jpg
    4258378290b.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,193

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: