• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the 13W 50/50's and the ballasts and hookups to go with them from ahsupply.com. Although bleeding blue advised me to purchase the $97.00 96W setup from hellolights.com, I don't trust a man who's reefs.org icon is a giant weiner in place of the washington monument. :roll: However, Mike did use these same lights in his tank, and, with the refugium that I am going to set up inside of the 10 Gallon tank, my nano will be smaller than his. Basically, according to Mike, and with this I will agree, Mike's tank is pretty freaking sick. 8) If he used 13's I will too. :twisted: Plus, now I can spend more deniro on corals and stuff.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As uncredible as a big weiner may seem ;) , bleeding blue is right on in his recommendation. 13 watts over a 10g is really on the lower threshold of what I consider acceptable lighting. For shrooms and zooanthid polyps and some softies and lps, it may barely suffice, but that's about the limit you have with the types of corals you can keep. Clams are out of the question, as are sps corals.

I would consider getting 1 or 2 more 13 watters if you're set on these bulbs. The 96 watter would've been a killer lighting setup :) My general advice is buy the right equipment once so you dont' have to buy livestock repeatedly.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and that's enough for me to come out of hiding! :)

It looked like some sort of veggie tales reference but I have lost my contacts and everything else seemed too Freudian for further investigation...

I agree as well about the lighting scheme. There's usually a way to make anything work, but you would have to modify some other parameter such as spacing all your specimens very close to the lighting which may make your aquascaping look funny in a 10g. It would be better to not skimp on the lighting right from the start, and a 96w PC is truly killer for a 10g. It can be barely done with your 13watters, but not with any conventional approach. Now if you have 5-6 13watters thats a little better, but by $$ that time you could have bought a powerquad... maybe it will hold some of the more forgiving specimens until you upgrade the lighting.

B

kimichan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright reef studs :evil: Albeit, my ideas have been sick, you guys are the masters. I just called ahsupply and changed my order to a 1x55 watt kit with the MIRO reflector and the 10000K and Dark blue combo 55 watt bulb. But hear this: if I am spending this $$ on these things, that means that I will have the sickest reef out there. :lol: Clams, SPS, LPS, Sturgeon, Shark, Salmon. All in a 10 gallon NANO!!! :twisted:

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that two 28W over a 10g will give the ornery little guy enough light to keep just about anything he wants. Especially since you is planning on partitioning the tank and using the back as a fuge to be lit separately. And, it will also be short enough to fit over his tank. Now let us see if he can bribe me into showing him how to wire the ballast.

M

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: