• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Reef_Ed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought a Prizm Skimmer for 10 gal tank that I'm about to setup. I just want to know if any of you guys had any good or bad experience with it. I heard they're pretty good skimmers. Is that true?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are pretty good skimmers for small tanks. for a 10 gallon it will work great. i used the prism pro on my 29 gallon and it was pretty good but now i am moving to a 100 gallon and stepping up to the big boys, Euroreef baby :P

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

I've never actually used one, but I have heard mixed reports about their efficacy. Regardless, a Prism will work just fine on a 10 gallon (just about anything will) ;)

Welcome to the wonderful world of reefkeeping and nanos :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, welcome to reefs.org, and especially the nano forum. I believe a Prizm would work just fine on a 10 gallon, and you could easily go skimmerless and accomplish nutrient export via water changes with such a small water volume.

plankton123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fungia: just transitioned from 100G SPS tank to 7 gallon nano. <grin> My 7G tank cost me $10/gallon whereas the 100G cost me $50/gallon. Hope you have been saving your pennies. Consider some of the other needle-wheel knockoffs; such as ASM. My ASM/G3 worked just as good as the Euroreef 6-2 and cost about 40% less.

Reef_ed: A skimmer is not a bad idea when you first setup a new tank with new LR/new sand, etc. All depends on bioload. Many folks like to use a portion of their tank as a refugium and run it on an alternate light cycle (evens the pH, Oxygen levels, etc). I had good success with a Backpak for years on a 10 gallon before moving to a refugium. The prizm will probably also work well to oxygenate the water, etc.

Don't forget to post picture of you setup ...

Reef_Ed

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plankton123, The tank will be a prop. tank. I will prop. softies for now. So I think this skimmer will do well once the tank cycled.
I'll try topost a phot of the tank as soon as I have all the softies in it.

Thanks for your input.

Reef_Ed

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ed,

The prism should work great. I use a piece of pvc pipe with a homemade venturi (well actually it is just a piece of tephlon tube that fits over the end of the powerhead, with a piece of airline sticking out of it,) on a powerhead, and it does me just fine. A real skimmer will actually do a great job.

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: