• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefer... I not new to the MR site but I'm starting from scratch once again. My last tank was a 29g fish and beginners reef tank which lasted 2 1/2 years. Because of relocating I left my tank in the hands of relatives which turn out to be a disaster. When I returned, my tank had an aptasia outbreak with lots of algae growth. However my fish manage to stay alive thru it all. I ended up giving away my fish to other marine hobbyist and took a break. I purchase this Aquapod a while back and never put it to use....So I decided to put it to use.

Display: Started with uncured rock only 11/19/11

24g Aquapod stock pump replace with Maxi Jet 1200
Sapphire Aquatic Protein Skimmer for 24g aquapod
Current Chiller 1/15_ Maxi jet 900
ReefKeeper Lite- won from the Fall Swap Raffle TYSM
Aqueon Heater 50 watts

e9vzgy.jpg

12668w9.jpg

2vjvcrs.jpg

Lighting:
64 watts Dual Daylight and Actinic

Circulation:
Koralia 25 and Aquaclear 20

Rock and Subtrate:
20lbs Macro Dry Rock- Added 12/13/11
5lbs Live Fugi rock, 2lbs Rubble
20lbs Nature Ocean Bio Active Reef Sand 0.5-1.7mm- Added 12/13/11

qqa838.jpg

2588d20.jpg

Filtration:
Filter Floss
Marineland Activated Carbon
2lbs Live Rock (Rubble)

Testing and Maintenance supplies:
API Mater Saltwater Kit
ESV B-Ionic Calcium Buffer 1/2
Petco Real Ocean Water and Distill Water
Instant Ocean Conditioner
Lugols iodine
Marine Buffer for Ph if needed
5g water changes weekly, filter floss cleaned with existing salt water

Currently: Temp-80, Salinity 31ppt, SP 1.023, PH 8.2, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate 0ppm.

Future plans in the next month: Must Purchase
Mighty Mite RODI 50gph
SICCE syncra Pump 1.0 for Protein Skimmer
JBJ ATO Controller
Maxi Jet 900 for Chiller
(2) Ecoxotic Stunner strips 12 inch (8000k/8000k with 453nm Blue and 403nm Ultraviolet)
Salifert Calcium, Phosphate and Magnesium Kit

I will need help/advice in doing some of the modifications to run my chiller, lighting and a DIY media basket for my media, rock and chaeto.

Thanks All and feel free to Comment!!!

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have an Aquapod up for about 3 years now with the stock pump and no other movement. I find that even that can be too strong of a flow. I was unable to get sand to stay in place so I went with crushed coral. I use a Rio skimmer but lately it has been failing.
I took off the hood and use a glass cover with LED lighting (72W). Until a few months ago I had 96W of T5 lighting with LPS corals. 64W is on the low side and may limit what corals you can handle.
Changing 5 gallons a week is probably overdoing it. I do 1 but 2-3 should be ideal. You probably don't need to dose anything because even 1 gallon per week will give you all you need.
The chiller will come in handy. I don't have one and my tank was 84 this summer.
If I can be of any help let me know.

yonee

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Aquapod up for about 3 years now with the stock pump and no other movement. I find that even that can be too strong of a flow. I was unable to get sand to stay in place so I went with crushed coral. I use a Rio skimmer but lately it has been failing.
I took off the hood and use a glass cover with LED lighting (72W). Until a few months ago I had 96W of T5 lighting with LPS corals. 64W is on the low side and may limit what corals you can handle.
Changing 5 gallons a week is probably overdoing it. I do 1 but 2-3 should be ideal. You probably don't need to dose anything because even 1 gallon per week will give you all you need.
The chiller will come in handy. I don't have one and my tank was 84 this summer.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Thanks Basiab for your response and advice...I have been doing the water change while cycling the tank, I will reduce it to 2 gallons a week. As for the pump the flow doesn't feel that strong in the tank and my sand stays in place. My only complaint is the maxi jet gives off heat...
Is it OK to add in CUC now?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: