• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Besides what has been listed above, another I would recommend is this one by Eric Borneman
51WN3n8LdUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Hey Randy what's was the book Tony was talking about at the swap that it's the SPS bible?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Corals of the World by J.E. N. Veron---this is a large and expensive 3 volume set that is the definitive taxonomic guide to corals. BUT, it contains absolutely no husbandry information and is not intended as an aquarium manual. If you want to learn about the natural habitat of various species, how they are classified biologically, and see great photos of large colonies in the wild as well as skeletal close-ups this is the book for you. If you are looking for info on how to keep stuff alive in captivity it is not.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Corals of the World by J.E. N. Veron---this is a large and expensive 3 volume set that is the definitive taxonomic guide to corals. BUT, it contains absolutely no husbandry information and is not intended as an aquarium manual. If you want to learn about the natural habitat of various species, how they are classified biologically, and see great photos of large colonies in the wild as well as skeletal close-ups this is the book for you. If you are looking for info on how to keep stuff alive in captivity it is not.

Im lookin for a book bout all types of fish n corals thats bout it do u kno any?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Deep Dive Coral

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Two little fish books, all written by julian sprung. Guy is a genius. I have the pleasure of being a friend and calling him if I need something. Read his books as well. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys I have met.

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can not claim to be friends (wish I was) with Julian but I met him last year in Pennsylvania at a lecture and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and a true icon in the hobby. I have followed his work form the reef notes days in FAMA. As far as I am concerned his three volumes are the "bible" of reef keeping. They are a great way to start your library.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
My all time favorite is the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, a little pricey but absolutely worth it for beginners. This is seconded only by Reef Secrets.

How do you guys feel about the CMA?

CMA is a very good beginner's book and the Borneman book mentioned above is also good. The Sprung and Delbeek series however ( I'm friends with both of them :) lol) covers a larger range of topics in greater depth and will serve anyone well beyond the beginner stage.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Another reason to get the Spung/Delbeek books (besides being well written) is that they are accessible to every level of hobbyist. They run from beginner information all the way through to advanced and they shouldn't give you any problems understanding them. I always recommend these books, best by far. As a side note, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Charles Delbeek is an awesome speaker and if you ever have the chance to see one of his talks, even if it's on watching paint dry, it would be well worth the time.

As for specific coral information, I also agree with the Borneman book as my main choice. it covers all the regular species you see in the trade as well as some of the rarer ones and even a few that you will probably never see. It's well organized and goes into greater depth than any other book I have found. Plus it isn't filled with a bunch of retouched pics meant to be eye candy to gloss over the lack of real information. It also covers coral diseases and some treatments, which is always helpful.

If you want the best price get them off amazon.com. They're cheaper on there than what any store can even buy them for and they probably qualify for free shipping if you're getting a bunch of them.

If you are looking for identification books, than I have to recommend the Kuiter and Debelius "World Atlas" books. Absolutely no information about specific species beyond where that particular picture was taken but they have the best pictures of any of the books in my opinion. Well worth the investment. Plus they are just fun to flip through, especially the invert book.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: