• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Where do I start :scratchch ... My son and I get there at about 10:45 and after a short wait on line made it to the check-in table. I gave my name to a VERY nice woman who checked the sheets, gave me my name tag and also gave one to my 8 yr old so he could "Be like my Dad and his friends". We than headed over to the raffle table to drop $40 on tickets and eye up the fantastic array of prizes. The next stop was the "Touch Tank" which made my son's day. He talked about Brittle stars the rest of the day and how he hoped we won the Nano so he could set that up with a bunch of them in it. I didn't get her name but the woman running the tank was a sweet woman who you could tell LOVED kids.

On to the corals. As this was my first swap I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised at the array and diversity of stuff offered. In a way I am glad my tank is still dry otherwise it would have been an EXPENSIVE day Lol.

I want to thank the guys from ACAN for taking almost 30 minutes to answer my questions and demo their LED units. REALLY nice setup and almost has pushed me over the edge to LED's. I also spent a few minutes talking with REEFKOI about the Evolution line of LED's and they were also a very nice setup. I was hoping to talk to Wingo about his lights but between the number of customers, friends and ladies hanging around his small booth I never got the chance. Oh well.

I finally got a chance to meet Russ from Critters and he was as nice in person as he is in PM's. A genuine guy ! Pleasure Russ and Thanks for the reactor!

I spent a few minutes talking with Jeff (Customking) who is hands down one of the nicest guys you'll meet and always happy to answer any questions. I saw Fortunato but never got a chance to go over and introduce myself. I felt bad as my cell died on the way in and was not able to text a few members I met before the swap to meet up and say hi!

I want to take a minute to thank Randy. Not only did his tanks leave my son and I speechless but he took the time to answer ALL my sons questions about the eel tank he has recently setup. Thanks Randy!

Finally got a chance to meet the "James Brown" of MR Kathy :) hands down the HARDEST WORKING WOMAN IN REEFING ! A pleasure Kathy !

We waited around for the raffle and wouldn't you know it I walked away with a really nice API master SW test kit! Not a bad introduction to the famous MR raffles. Thanks to all the vendors who donated !

having spent 3 years as a moderator on an Astronomy website and helping to setup for the NorthEast Astronomy Forum (NEAF) show that takes place at Rockland college and hosts an average of 10-15000 visitors the small staff that MR has did a fine job and deserves A LOT of thanks from those who attended.

The fact I got to spend it with my son made it a pretty special day! Thanks MR!

Now that all the warm fuzzy stuff is over with I do offer up a few suggestions...

BURN the PA system :) 'Nuff said about that

The names on the name tags were WAAAAAY to small. I felt a little weird staring at guys chests to see who they were Lol. Some of the woman also looked at me kinda weird :) Especially the "Got Frag" girls but I guess that was because they weren't wearing name tags Lol (If they are wives/GF's of any MR mebers I say that with a TON of respect ;) )

Yeah it was crowded and yeah it was warm but it was COOL! And that's what counts..

Sorry for a long post!

nikkibabee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Glad you had a great first experience!! MR is a great place, next swap hopefully you will be able to buy coral... Astronomy has always been so interesting for me...a lot of what I see on Discovery sea specials reminds me of the sky...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobby,
I was nice talking to you and your son at the end there waiting for the raffle, I guess you didn't win anything else after the test kit I. I had to go because I was anxious to acclimate my new frags. I thought you won one of the "Got Frag" girls. wasn't that one of those prizes for the 3$ tickets.. lol
Rick

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Rick,

Was a pleasure BS'ing with you. Nope, nothing after the test kit but hey it was something!

As for the other... Nope, didn't win one of those either :( Probably just as well. It's hard enough sneaking a protein skimmer in the house let alone one of those ;)

Stay in touch!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Your pics are wonderful!! --> closest I can get to a star..:starfish:

Very nice to meet you yesterday and thank you for your thoughtful post about the swap.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob,
I checked out your website, all I can say unbelievable, what a cool observatory you built and equipment, I never seen telescopes like that except at the planetarium.
thats some hobby. The pics are great ..wow
If thats how intense you go into a hobby I cant wait to see your tank..lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: