• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Getting to get rid of Aiptaisia. No success using chemical, peppermint shrimp or the new Aiptaisa zapper!

I have a mix reef so going with butterflyfish or matted filefish may damage my LPS and softies, but I'll try it if they will work.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I went with a copperbanded butterfly, it ate my feather dusters. But hasn't touched anything else except the aphasia which is all gone from what I can see. It took me 3 weeks to find one that was healthy and eating in the lbs which is really important as these fish are on the delicate harder to keep side.

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Can't go with berghia nudibranch, I have two Koraila pumps inside my tank plus few dottybacks, peppermint and cleaner shrimps that may eat the berghia.

Thinking about Copperband, but maybe try Raccoon or Tahiti butterfly?

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i use robics lye, only available at lowes, works great never harmed anything else but bristleworms
what is robics lye? And how do you use it? Do tell cause I have used all the other ways except the file fish which is next on my list.. So I would like to try this before the file fish..

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have tried it all also....I just got one of the file fish and he is great at eating the flake food I put in the tank and the brine and myssis shrimp mix I feed at night.... BUT He sure as hell hasnt even looked at a aptasia or mojoe.... SO i dont know what to tell you but we will see I have only had him 3 days now...

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
chemicals only kill what is seen. IMO a waste of time with unnecessary potential downside. Try even more peppermints, the filefish will eat zoos I tried it before.
Maybe just the shrimp you got aren't hungry for it, but others will be. Worth a shot as most safe method.
Also a type of hermit crab eats them I hear.

In reference to above post, the filefish DOES work. He took a week or two in my tank to start eating them, and he does his work at night when you are sleeping.

P.S. if the filefish does eat the zoos or whatever, he was the EASIEST fish I ever had to catch when I needed to sell him.

doctor_random

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Inject 2cc lemon juice concentrate or lye solution right in the center of the mouth with a long needle (like a 6" "spinal" needle used for medical procedures.) Get's 'um every time.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well Im going to give the file fish some time cause I dont have any zoo's to worry about. And as long as he dont think my duncans and dendros are aptasia's then we will be just fine.. Now with the shrimp I must of pit 20 in at a period of 2 or 3 months 5 or 6 at a clip. They find a cave to hide in and never saw them again. I do have a correse wrasse in there so he might have been picking them off but I never seen him do it so cant really get mad at him....lol well I will keep you all posted and if he does start eating the aptasia then once he is done in my tank I could pass him on to the next tank, but for that we will have to wait and see....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: