• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Haveing a tough time makeing a top for my 34 gal solana out of acrlic makeing a straight break but I wanna cut out a specific pattern any one got any advice I've already ruined 2 sheets of this stuff at 12$ a sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

chuck116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How think is the acrylic ? I have made peices of alot of different shapes by cutting it with a hand acrylic knife . Its a pain in the butt , but it works I have also been able to cut it with a jigg saw , but its recommended that you tape both sides then make it and cut it. Make sure you clamp it down or have a good hold on it before you cut it. BE CAREFUL TO KEEP ALL BODY PARTS CLEAR OF THE SAW !

Good Luck, Chuck

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Haveing a tough time makeing a top for my 34 gal solana out of acrlic makeing a straight break but I wanna cut out a specific pattern any one got any advice I've already ruined 2 sheets of this stuff at 12$ a sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
How thick is acrylic ?, how long are the pieces going to be? are you scribing it, or cutting it?

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
what are you using to cut i use a circular saw with a fine teeth blade if you use a course blade the plastic will break you could also use a rotozip but its not that straight of a cut you need to use something with really fast rpms

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can cut acrylic into odd shapes with a variable speed jigsaw also. You need to keep it moving and use it at a fairly low speed and a new blade. You also need to keep the sheet from vibrating, or it will crack.

I do have a question - are you doing this as a 'cover' for the tank to keep the fish in? If so, you are going to have awful heat issues and poor oxygen exchange. There are other ways to keep fish from jumping than a solid top (if that is your aim).

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Hi the acrilic was 1/4 in thick I was using the scoring tool that home depot sells next to the acrilic sheets it worked only for a strait line
Kathy I am using this to try and keep a blue spot jaw fish in the tank and out of the over flow I had a mesh cover about 1/4 inch squares of black thread but jaw fish got through no problem. Any other ideas

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: