• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I just realize one of my my sebae clown fish is missing, after looking for a long while. I realize my Green Brittle Starfish has ate part of the fish. I was wondering, did the starfish kill my fish or it just happen that the fish die and he is just having a dinner? Is the starfish the murder of my clown fish, if he is, i'll have to take him out of my tank.....I really don't want to see another victim :(

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have a green brittle star and I have never had a problem with him killing anything.. I have heard that they do become aggresive and kill fish. I have had mine in the 30 gallon tank which is covered top to bottom with live rock and never had him kill anything. He certainly could if he wanted to.

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green brittle starfish are not considered reef safe, they will eat fish. But it really depends on what kind of fish you are keeping. Obvously they are more likely to eat small gobies, shrimp and other creatures that spend most of their time on the sand bed. It's unlikely that it killed your clown fish but you never know.

Jeff

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
O.k. If you ask me the term "reef safe fish" means the fish wont hurt corals and under that definition serpent starfish are ?reef safe?

But yes they can eat fish especially slow fish or small fish that hang out towards the bottom of the tank at night

House I totally agree I don?t like starfish in reef tanks either. But they are so cool I find myself putting them in tanks anyway.

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We have 2 red thorny stars and we've never caught them munching on any corals - occasionally they get a bunch in at PetCo (Union Square) for like $5.

We also have a blue linkia that has never been a problem...

Maybe we've just been lucky - but if you find yourself unable to resist the urge to put a star in your reeftank - I would certainly recommend one of these two kinds.

[ January 11, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Missy Johnson ]

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OMG how funny is this...last night when I got home I caught our green brittle star red handed! He was trying to catch our goby! He's pretty big though - maybe 5 inches - so he didn't seem to mind. Hope he sleeps out of harm's way...

[ January 12, 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Missy Johnson ]

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
OOps, i'm not taking any chances with my fishes. It's gonna be outta of my display tank as soon as i catch him since most of my fishes are small. He/She is cool but killing my fish is not. It's a crime...lolz. Hopefuly i can get him out before he gets my newly purchase blue hippo tang. If he kill him, he's gonna be hang alive. :D

Thanks for all the feedback

[ January 12, 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: samksy ]

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I'm worry, and guess what i guess did......lolz.....i try to pull the starfish from the tank. It was hiding under the rock. I tried to pull him out, a small picece of the leg came off. I grab the leg again, pulled, and another piece falled off....damn....did that like 4 times...and failed to pull him out......and i see four pieces of it's leg on the tank bottom now. He is now hiding...lolz.. :( and i can't reach him. Ooops...didn't mean to be cruel....just want to put him in my fuge and decide what to do later. Oh well...maybe try later.

I hope he is not going to get my hippo, any fish is fine but not my hippo. I had some other fish disappear out of missery so...i'm worry and i just added shrimp....i hope they are safe. : )

[ January 12, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: samksy ]

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I had two other fish that disappear without a trace...one of them is coral beauty angel and i don't remember the other one.......so i'm really scare that soon all my fish is gonna be gone, so i really gotta take some precaution. Oh, and two peppermint shrimp from petco, i didn't know what happen to them. Anyone can explain? My friend said, that my brother cooked for dinner.....lolz What do you guys think?

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Green Brittle starfish is also known as the green death and is a voracious preditor. They hang upside down in a cave and drop onto unsuspecting fish. Maybe reef safe but not fish safe.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
FYI

Echinodermata - Ophiuroidea
The Green Death = Ophiarachna incrassata

This species of brittle star is one of the most voracious and destructive of predators that can be put into a reef tank. Ophiarachna incrassata have been documented to eat several species of aquarium fish, including fire fish, damsels, mandarin fish, blennies, small gobies, and cleaner wrasses. Additionally, they have been observed tearing other brittle stars apart to eat their gut contents, and they may have the same habit with sea anemones and corals. If that weren't enough they have also been observed to eat cleaner shrimp and other crustaceans.

They are beautiful animals, their base color is light green to olive, and they have a fine patterning of light, white or yellow, spots and dark, black or dark green, bands on the surface. The disk may be large, up to 5 cm across in a large animal, and relatively thick. When ingesting a large meal, the disk may assume the proportions of large marble or golf ball. A large specimen would be 50 cm across the arms. Animals about half this size are often seen for sale. The arms are relatively stout and highly muscular, for a brittle star, and there rows of evident spines running down the length of each arm.

These animals are harmless to aquarists, but literally appear able and willing to eat just about anything else in their tanks.
Their predatory habits notwithstanding they are interesting and quite striking in their coloration. If maintained in small species tank dedicated to their care, they will be excellent pets, however, they should not be maintained in a community tank.

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have about 3 of thes in my tank. in 3 years never had a problem That I can directly link to them.

Sam,
I think your brittle will be fine now since you tore off it's arms it would be pretty hard to catch anythink with 1 arm

Frank

N

nanotank

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I will never again put a green brittle in my tank. I lost two fish before I learned...

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Jreef, thanks for the info....i'll get him out as soon as i find him, at any cost...lolz

Frank,

I only tore off one full leg (into 4 pieces) so it still got 4 full legs and it has disappear out of no where. I couldn't even find a trace of him. They are really cool but i don't want to loose anymore livestock. You are luck they didn't touch your livestock....my is too aggressive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: