• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Actinics are for you. If you like the effect then go with it. Your corals will grow more from daylight bulbs. I recently got T5's and those actinics beat PC's by a mile. Just no camparison.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Color then growth. A better actinic will provide some spectrum for growth as well as the blue glow to make your coral fluoresce and color up better. If your just supplimenting some blue paired with your MH bulbs then the actinic bulb rating and specs don't matter as much. If your swapping out a few bulbs from your T5 fixture for actinics its better to get a better rated bulb which will privide the best spectrum of light for growth which alot of actinic bulbs are missing.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've seen that there are different specifications of actinic blue bulbs.
I think your question was referring to actinic vs. true actinic bulbs. Better to let an expert and/or vendor chime in, but I believe true actinic 03 bulbs are 420nm, and (less blue) actinics are 460nm. Bulb selection could depend on the other bulbs that you will be using.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: