• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing about joining new forums is that I never have to worry that where I go will have already covered these tanks...there is nothing like them anywhere including the great melting pot of Manhattan! nice to be unique in this cookie cutter world eh

aside from the portability and novelty of these rascals, there is serious aquairum biology going on behind the scences. none of these tanks are filtered or skimmed, check em out and see if you agree with my hyperbole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOsitYhihc

nice to meet you all, hope you enjoy
b429

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
that was amazing!!!!!!

To see something at that scale is unbelievable. I guess no one told you you couldn't do that at that scale. you have a great "tank".

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
hey b429, i remember your 1g pico from years ago. your tank was one the first nano i wanted to emulate.

great tanks!

-Q

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
what type of lighting are you using for the tanks? and are you only using small water pumps to make the water move? would you have a how to or a parts list? Great aquarium.

Thanks.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I looks like there is an airpump circulating water in the vase type tank, and a mini jet 404 in the rosewood tank.
I would like to know if water chages are done on these tanks or not.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
From the youtube video I think these tanks are sealed so there is no water leaving and none coming in.

Oh it did say he tops off and feeds something. I would also like some more detail on your maintenance regiment and feeding. Very interesting systems I recall coming across them before in another board.

Nice drum set, what brand is it?

Last edited:

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

thank you all for the interest in the tanks they make for fun discussion. Quang thank you man that is really cool!

I live in Lubbock where Bob Knight takes a chilled retirement and lets his son do all the yapping

the water is changed about twice a week 100% at each interval because it's so convenient with the tanks sitting right on my counter above the sink. while making coffee I just take out premixed water in old milk jugs and zap out the tanks through their feeding holes with a rigid tube. funny huh I don't even move them to drain the fully. the little scraper is really strong and I add a clip of scouring pad between it to really clean. it scratches but I don't care, I'm tired of scraping coralline with hemostats I can't hardly reach anything

it's not like I have to change daily, if these reefs lost any of their practicality I wouldn't have them. its because they are convenient that I keep them, for what I'm used to I couldn't bear the maintenance on a large tank although I love the diversity you can have in them with the beautiful fish. they can go a week without a change while I go scuba diving or something but mostly I change out twice weekly, maybe even three, if I feed really heavy to bring out the asexual growth/budding/corallite fission that tells you corals like where they are living. of course I have to reposition some from time to time, especially the galaxeas or frag em down smaller, but this is all expected maintenance in a palmtop I guess. I grew an acan for example from a 3 mouth LFS save frag to a 12 mouth behemoth that was mesenterying everything in my tank. when he hit my rare blastos that was it. I clipped an ear off :) glued it to the back rockwork just to save a little of that orange mean line, then traded 11 mouths back to the lfs for some yellow candy cane heads. it's like being a parts trader for model cars, small and technical like that

my favorite coral is the alveopora which has literally added 4x calcium carbonate biomass, from the size of a pinky nail to the size of the whole finger, that's big stuff in a pico but I really like him most because the books say he's the least likely to truly thrive and grow. Now I don't get all red and pink showy colors, maybe browns with red/green on the tips, but that will all change as soon as someone invents led lights that are little metal halides ha!

I trim xenia dang near weekly from the glass or I just use the algae scraper to mow through it and suck it out with a water change. No lie, I think I've harvested 10 pounds of it but since it's not affixed no one wants it so I just flush it.

The vase is partially resticted from evaporation, so it's a three day topoff. Do that one if you are going to set one up, they are the cheapest reef tank that will give you the most of any design possible (for that size). you find a vase, find a plastic lid to rest on the inner diameter of the neck (to redirect airstone splatter) and you can find this lid in the garden section of wal mart it's the plastic lid you set an 8 inch potted plant in so it won't leak all over your floor, very simple stuff here. Invert it and stick in on the vase, run the lines for the heater and airstone through a slit and the rest is fishbowl glory. The square tank is totally sealed and does not evaporate at all by design, with the internal oxygen generation. If I could get anything out of these it would kindly be to ask for the title of first reef tank to eliminate topoff hassle of any size, so keep that in mind when some dude mass markets the idea sometime in the next 5 years! I don't care much about entrepreneurialism so leave the dollars to someone else I just like practical biology. If I had to do it for a living I'd hate it really. if he can grow em this thick in two inches depth then more power to him he he lol good luck bud

Lastly the dosing. the water changes alone don't grow that coralline, it's the c balance. I add 1/8th capfull of parts a and b, on alternate mornings, strictly before lights on. You add it at 3 pm when photosynthesis has sequestered carbon from the solution and you will peel the skin off em at pH 8.8, I know this tragically first hand during the first few months of training-wheel reefing (ha the terms are flowin' now)

Lastly I know this sounds wierd, but I found something that influences sand bed longevity and by that I mean the nitrates you deal with by year three...these dsb's dont reduce nitrate I think, they just look cool and provide worm substrate for you to watch below all the reef action. But you still have to deal with natural bed sinking, ie holding in nutrients and potentially re leaking them, so I addressed that by stopping feeding of any pelleted food. I believe the fillers and binders/breading/dough etc takes longer to break down and accumulates faster as organic dissolved and suspended muck in the palmtop or vase tank. my dsb's used to be dirty and have gravid/dark spots but in the years since I only fed mysis or marine bioplankton frozed, all that has cleared up. I believe it anecdotally to be the proteinic breakdown cycle of the living organism vs the prepared pellets, since time is of the essence in a small tank the shrimps are degraded by benthic organisms and only tiny fragments are incorporated into the sandbed for a more scaled down mineralization cycle. You guys buyin any of that? I really think it!

nice to meet you all what a nice forum!

Last edited:

brandon429

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Let's see if photobucket.com can help out.;)
measurelong1.jpg

liftsubmicro1.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: