• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bare Bottom or Deep Sand Bed for your tank

• Total voters

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am curious to know most hobbiests have bare bottom or deep sand bed for their reef tanks. Please fill up the poll.

Please also share with us any link to website or thread for the related discussions.

James

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Niether....:splitspin I have 2".......But each has its advantages. It is more important to figure out what type of environment you are trying to create and the animals needs that will be placed in the system. Once this is answered your substrate issue can be addressed.

jason18

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree..the only thing i noticed with a deep sand bed is that with a calcium reactor it can harden the sand up pretty fast if your not on top of it..

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I like 1" or less of sand in the main display if you are not going to keep any sand critters. A dusting of sand functions like a BB tank, looks like a sandbed :)

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep do you suggest for the the remote DSB?

Generally 6-8".

To be honest ive never seen any deffinate advantages with going over 6" deep. Imo, surface area for diffusion is better than extra depth. but it needs to be of a decent size to make the bed worth while. Too small an area and you end up with rapidly diminishing diversity as one life form outcompetes the other...the bigger the bed, the longer this takes to happen.

I generally run the rule that anything smaller than 24" x 12" isnt realy worth it outside the main display. It wont harm the system but the rewards will be greatly reduced imo in terms of nutrient control and live food output.

There are loads of factors to consider and I could ramble on all day about it, suffice to say, here's my take on the theme which has served me and others well over a great many years and a whole host of systems.

http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm

http://www.reef-eden.net/new_dsb.htm

regards

Simon.

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Generally 6-8".

To be honest ive never seen any deffinate advantages with going over 6" deep. Imo, surface area for diffusion is better than extra depth. but it needs to be of a decent size to make the bed worth while. Too small an area and you end up with rapidly diminishing diversity as one life form outcompetes the other...the bigger the bed, the longer this takes to happen.

I generally run the rule that anything smaller than 24" x 12" isnt realy worth it outside the main display. It wont harm the system but the rewards will be greatly reduced imo in terms of nutrient control and live food output.

There are loads of factors to consider and I could ramble on all day about it, suffice to say, here's my take on the theme which has served me and others well over a great many years and a whole host of systems.

http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm

http://www.reef-eden.net/new_dsb.htm

regards

Simon.

Simon,

I read through your articals in your website related to DSB, they are so informative and I will read couple more times.

Is it good idea to have engineer goby for the deep sand bed?

I hate deep sand bed in the display tank. Luckily I have a 6'(L)x3'(W) x 2' (H) sump (280G) with more than 1000 Lbs. live rock in it for 12 years. I am thinking to put 6" sand in the sump and pile all the live rocks on top of the sand, but your website suggests not to put live rock on DSB to avoid packing the sand. Do you think I should throw away all my 1000Lbs. live rocks and only keep the sand in sump?

My display tanks has 350G. A picture of my sump is attached.

James

70720066.jpg

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted for "others", because i prefer an inch or two of sugar sized sand in the display.
i like it for looks and for light reflection.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: