• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
About 20 years ago, when my neighbor was in the Caribbean, he found a brain coral lying on the beach. He said it was dead... I hope so... anyway, He took it home and it's been sitting on his deck from that day as a decoration. It's about 15" round and 6" high. Thought it would make a really nice center piece for a tank. Maybe get it populated with something...

Anyway, what would one need to do to clean 20 years of dirt and whatever else off of it? Could it be done?

MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I would definitely soak it for a couple of weeks, do water changes on that water. Like dead rock that's intended for the tank, you want it soak it to allow alot of the bad stuff to leach out before placing into the tank. Rainwater has alot acids and you don't to drop that into your tanks, would probably throw parameters out of whack.

Back in the day when coral skeletons was the norm alot of people bleached the coral's skeletons to get out alot of bad stuff out and bring backs it's white coloration. I don't know the full process but I'm sure others could elaborate.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't know that I'd be comfortable adding it to a reef tank even if you ran it through a bleach bath. That's a heck of a gamble on your reef tank!

You have no idea what pesticides or whatever have settled on it in the 20 years it sat on his deck, or how much of any chemical that might be in the deck material could have leached into it.

You could try cooking it and then put it in a tank of it's own with a hermit or something and see if the hermit is affected and go from there?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't know that I'd be comfortable adding it to a reef tank even if you ran it through a bleach bath. That's a heck of a gamble on your reef tank!

You have no idea what pesticides or whatever have settled on it in the 20 years it sat on his deck, or how much of any chemical that might be in the deck material could have leached into it.

You could try cooking it and then put it in a tank of it's own with a hermit or something and see if the hermit is affected and go from there?

Good idea... Let's see if i can get it from them first...

If I do, I will post pictures tomorrow...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
OK, they gave it to me... Now What?

Want any opinion you can give...

Came from St. Lucia in 1984. Was taken from a (off the beaten path) beach, and it was just a "rock" at that time. They brought it back to their hotel where it sat in a bath tub filled with water for a few days to get the "Smell Out". They then put it in a black plastic bag and in their suitcase and brought it home. It sat in the house on their windowsill for years till they decided to rearrange and put it out on the deck
till today.

img041.jpg

C

Chiefmcfuz

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I wouldn't add it to your tank at all. I would give it back to them and say thanks. Who knows what pesticides and chemicals it has absorbed since the time it was placed on the deck. Nice idea, could kill everything in your tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not seeing the pic for some reason...
Do have a question though..when you had it sitting in it's own tank for the past few months, did you add an invert or anything to see if it would live?

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0

I agree!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It was in its own "reef tank" (did not have strong lighting) for 2 months with no ill effects. Went through weekly (100%) water changes for 7 months. It's actually been in the main display for over a week now with no ill effects. Starting to grow coralline algae already.

I will keep everyone posted on my results. I would call success a few months without any problems. Agree?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: