• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sporty

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have had my setup for over 1.5 years .I thought of getting something new for the tank .I said I'm done with zoas...they never seem to survive in my tank ...they seem to disappear eventually,little by little.To my surprise I see this thing moving underneath a rock and it was a big ugly gorilla crab(I found out later through research).So I was kind of excited to find something new that big that I wasn't aware was there before.So I built a trap-no luck though- and I went on a night watch with a flash light and was amazed to see the tank teaming with life (pods,bristleworms,worms).I think I enjoyed my tank last night more than any other time.I will try to get pictures of the crab when caught.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have had good luck catching them with a drinking glass. I leaned the glass up against one of his favorite resting spots and put a piece of food in the bottom of it. The gorilla crab went in to get the food, and couldn't climb the glass walls to get out. I also managed to catch a few hermit crabs that way too.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
I went on a night watch with a flash light and was amazed to see the tank teaming with life (pods,bristleworms,worms).I think I enjoyed my tank last night more than any other time.

I enjoy watching my tank a few hours after lights out as much as I do during the day too. It's like a totally different world in there.

Good luck removing the GC. Matt's idea sounds plausible (although I didn't go through the Mythbusters routine of testing :biggrin: ).

swimmer

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I enjoy watching my tank a few hours after lights out as much as I do during the day too. It's like a totally different world in there.

Good luck removing the GC. Matt's idea sounds plausible (although I didn't go through the Mythbusters routine of testing :biggrin: ).

swimmer

off topic...but,

I want be a mythbuster.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
OOps it didn't upload.:scratch:

Attachments

• crab.gif
    crab.gif
    116.4 KB · Views: 132

yiliyang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Please do not kill the crab when you find it. PM me and let me know a price, maybe I can buy it and give it a home. It is not at fault for being in your tank, it was the victim of kidnapping and critter trafficking.

Yili

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Please do not kill the crab when you find it. PM me and let me know a price, maybe I can buy it and give it a home. It is not at fault for being in your tank, it was the victim of kidnapping and critter trafficking.

Yili

Amen to that!

my fuge is a home for displaced hitchhikers all are welcome :dog2:

Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Are gorilla crabs bad for your reef tank? I think I have one but it's very small and only comes out at night eating my hair algae. Looks like the second pic but without the hair.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: