• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys...

you probably know most of the story, but I'm still working on getting my 125 tuned in.

right now I only have about 30 lbs of good LR in the tank. The substrate is completely new argonite, so not much bio filter going on there yet.

My skimming is good with my current ER skimmer.

question at hand: how essential is it that I up the LR load in the tank to the biological filtration? I'll have a medium load of fish on the tank before too long once everything gets stabilized. I guess the MAJOIRY of the bio stuff happens in the sand bed...

that being considered.. u think i should go ahead and up the load of LR asap? I guess it can only help things.

(yes i know about it being cured before being put in the tank and such)

thanks in advance..\

b

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, you can take your time with adding the LR if you want. It's not usually what I personally recommend, but it can be done. You mention no other filtration besides the skimmer, and I apologize but I haven't been following you on the set up and dialing in of the 125, but, if the rock is to be the main filtration, then I would recommend only adding small fish in small numbers UNTIL you get a better ratio of LR to water volume going on.
Otherwise, I'd say that, yes, you really do need to get some more decent LR in the tank.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i agree.. its just common sense really. the thing is if i add LR little at a time i always run the risk of several spikes versus the possibility of one big one.. reguardless of being cured.... I'd rather fend one big one off with some water changes than have to guess when the next one will occur.

I've be thinkin about premium aquatic's LR.. they have some great reviews... I think I'll call later and see what condition their pools r in.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you cure in the display? I've always used trash cans, plastic bins, or those cattle tubs (they're big enough to swim in). I also like to cure outside the display so I have a chance to see what's hitched in on the rock, already have my own Mantis Tail of Woe. :lol: Just a suggestion, SMS. :)

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seamaiden":2wcq3mbh said:
Do you cure in the display? I've always used trash cans, plastic bins, or those cattle tubs (they're big enough to swim in). I also like to cure outside the display so I have a chance to see what's hitched in on the rock, already have my own Mantis Tail of Woe. :lol: Just a suggestion, SMS. :)

How do you like to cure it? Tub, heater, powerhead and let it go for a couple weeks?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trash cans, actually, because they're cheap and sturdy. Powerhead or air pump, but I do prefer a (grounded) powerhead or two, and LOTS of water changes. Yes to the heater if it's not in an area that has appropriate ambient air temperature.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: