• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO you're trying to do over think the QT tank. Honestly you can use a 10 gallon tank, an airstone, and a powerhead and have yourself a good QT tank. Like mr X said don't put rock, sand in there as they will tend to hold medications used to treat specific diseases and release them over time. The ideal thing as well is that most medications need to be cleaned out every day / every other day anyway.

I would also set up an additional tank if you want to raise fry and frag corals. This tank could also be plumbed directly to your main display to help with keeping everything stable.

This might or might not help you out but I'd look a bit more in depth at other solutions found on the forums and past projects people have done.

asonitez

Sleeps With Fishes
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I agree with you teh 10 Gallon tank is perfect for the quarantine tank and Like yourself and Mr. X Once I have it going with saltwater in there and its normal little bio filter going I don't see what else I will probably need.If Anything I have been thinking of making some clear acrylic Frag holders that I can place in my tank. I haven't even gotten my 54 Gallon going crazy yet but already I'm thinking and looking for a 75Gallon Show Tank that I can put all my good stuff into. Have that tank Running for 2/3 months or so perfectly before adding anything wicked to it. I have learned alot from this 54 gallon tank. I made a lot of mistakes some of them costly. But its something I will not do with the larger tank. I'm going to do things the right way and invest in some good equip to make my life easier and my critters happy. ATM a lot of people are Getting rid of their Tanks in the 75 gallon range and I'm looking to pick one up. I'm gonna get some base rock and Use my Existing Live Rock to seed the new stuff into some awesome growth. I have a 29 gallon tank that I have been using for a Chichlid tank with some babies in it. I think I will use that tank for a SUMP and transfer my livestock from in there to the 54 gallon corner tank. The best part is that I'm getting out of NITRO RC's so selling my cars and equip from that hobby will seed the equip for my new hobby!

asonitez

Sleeps With Fishes
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Its the only way that my Girlfriend will let me do it. Otherwise she will abuse me for spending money on my "hobby's" all the time. Tee heee I saw a NICE long 75gallon Oceanic tank with canopy perfect for screwing my MH lights into. I'm getting that excited feeling now lol. I'm thinking of going with a FAUX sand Bed this time around but I have not decided yet. One thing I wanted to know was is it normal to have some floating "debris" in the tank? Reason being is that even though I'm using mechanical filtration and a sump with polishing cloth's I still find some debris in the tank like what seems to be little bits of salt maybe or some stuff off of the live rock. MR. X OMG the Diatoms are going away FINALLY.... the sand bed is getting better and better. I got a scooter blenny that is going to frickin TOWN on the algae on the rocks. I can already start seeing where coraline algae is growing on my live rock. It looks awesome. Its not that Super DEEP purple yet but I figure if I give it a month more it will be. My tank parameters are perfect but I think I might want to raise my salinity a bit. Its at around 1.23 if im not mistaken. I might need to invest in a refractometer instead of the one i have now. Otherwise I'm starting to collect the parts for my new tank that I hope to buy before christmas....

btw,,, the 90 gallon tank is only a few inches taller than the 75 hehe... o_O

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. those swing arm hydrometers are way off. i have one that reads .21 and one that reads .26 on the same water. that's a big difference.

my girlfriend is the same way. she likes my tank, but she's been starting to give me the old "you have alot of corals now..why don't you just let those grow instead of buying more". she did let me buy the calcium reactor though. 300 bucks for a 700 dollar setup....how could she say no to that? :P

asonitez

Sleeps With Fishes
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'll go as big as my floor will support and as space will allow. Nothing more. But I feel the 75 is enough space for me in my apartment to be a really great piece of furniture and a focal point. When setup other than weekly testing and small water changes minimal effort will be needed to upkeep the tank. I think that a 100+ gallon tank will not satisfy my immediate need because it would be way too big for my living room. The upkeep and equip needed would probably outgross my income as well lol. I can't even imagine lighting a 100 gallon tank for corals. Egads.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: