• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to search on this overly discussed topic, yet nothing was discovered. I simply want to know if any of you know of a simple way to get rid of bubble algae. I know enough not to pop the few spores I have, but what is the best way to solve this problem without spreading it. I just don't want to take the few rocks it is on out of the tank to kill the problem in a bucket. I have also heard that porcelain crabs knock things over.
I will be gone for a few days but check this post upon my return.
Thanks All.
J.

Eboman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup....emerald crabs should do the trick.

Plus, I think they're pretty cool looking.

When people come over to see the tank, they're always digging on the crabs. "Hey!!! Look what I found!!!!"

saltank

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try emerald crabs but IME they did not work, I have bubble algae all over the tank, the only saving grace is that my corraline algae growth is enough that it covers a lot of the bubble algae so it is not so noticeable.

No easy way to deal with this problem, that I know of - emerald crabs may work for you but I would do it sooner than later...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the tank, rabbitfish will eat it too. Better all around algae eaters than tangs in my opinion but very dodgy when it comes to nipping certain corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most effective means of dealing with valonia I ever found was manual removal, done when you're conducting a water change. Hold the vacuum tube you're removing water with right over the bubbles as you pry them off; that way even if they should break as you're doing so any spores will just get pulled out via the suction.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, this is what I had already thought of. Maybe an Emerald Crab is my best bet. I like little cool looking creatures that surve a purpose on the reef.
Cheers,
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emerald crabs seem to be hit or miss. It's been a miss for me, so I end up doing manual removal

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs did not work in my previous tank, but the two in my current tank took care of just about all my Valonia. You may have to go through a few before you find one that likes to eat the algae.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw my emeralds out much but no valonia then.

Now I never them at all (wonder if they're still alive) and I have a little valonia. :?

I try to get them out with a pair of tweezers. Haven't had an epidemic yet. :D

Karlbob

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an emerald crab, and now I'm worried for my coralline algae. Since the emerald crab left the bag he has been picking at my live rock non-stop. I understand that they are grazers, but this guy is insatiable. Will the algae strike a balance with the crab, or am I doomed to bare rocks? Should I start adding algae pellets or disks for him?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your coralline is safe. don't worry. don't add algae pellets. watch him when he gets bigger though. when mine got to be a little larger than a quarter dollar, they started yanking on my soft poyps.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":3w4hzz7c said:
The most effective means of dealing with valonia I ever found was manual removal, done when you're conducting a water change. Hold the vacuum tube you're removing water with right over the bubbles as you pry them off; that way even if they should break as you're doing so any spores will just get pulled out via the suction.

I agree with this.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":120uffow said:

+1 :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: