• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I was given a coral today as a favite. However, I am not certain as to what it actaully is. It has shared walls like a favite compared to a favia, however the idividuals of the colony are only about 1mm or less in diameter. They are tiny and I have always thought favia and favites were a bit larger than that. I will post a pic later. Any help would be, well...helpful. TIA

A

Anonymous

here is a crummy pic of it under no lighting. Just a flash.

Attachments

• favite.jpg
    favite.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,368
A

Anonymous

That is a asterna (sp) star next to it and a fan worm on top right for size comparison. Very small corralites.

A

Anonymous

Looks like either porites or an encrusting monti. I am leaning towards porites.

Alembic14

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger":2vkqhq6v said:
That is a asterna (sp) star next to it and a fan worm on top right for size comparison. Very small corralites.

You might want to check and see if that Asterina star is using that coral like a drive in restaurant. Maybe it's a Coeloseris sp., but that's just a guess.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking porites as well. Just wanted a second opinion. Thanks. After I posted I saw a christmas worm come out of it so I think that pretty much confirms it. It looks like it is a christmas tree coral.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And while we're at it, I have a very small porites that came on a piece of rock that had some other small corals and it's grown in the last 3 months but it contains no christmas worms or any worms at all. Will they grow still or is it possible to have the porites without the worms?

And Ranger, everything is doing great including the baby galaxeas. Except the xenia, go figure! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms are actually the hitcher even though the worms are usually the selling point of the coral. So the porites can survive without, it is the worms that rely on the porites for nutrition. Well, if the xenia doesn't make it I will bring more to the next meeting. I am tempted to just give you the whole rock as I really am not sure why I keep the xenia at all lol. Let me know how they do. All the frags I got except the blastos are doing well. The blastos don't look like they will make it. Kind of rough, I think he fragged them yesterday morning if memory serves, so fragging then trip, then sit in cooler all day, probably was too much for them. The purple digita that I got is polyps out last night and today so all is well there so far. Great meeting though huh? Have you started setting up the Nano you won? I am in the process of setting ours up so it can cycle while we decide what to do with it lol.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small blasto from Pat also, and I'm not sure how it's doing, really. We'll see how it turns out!

But yeah, the meeting was great! Great folks there! I won't do anything with the 1 gallon now but I really want to setup that 5 gallon as a nano but it only came with 15W incandescent bulb. Not sure if I could rig something up for PCs or what. What do you think? :?

I also won that digital PH tester but it came with no calibration liquid. Go figure! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won my PH tester there a few meetings ago. I had to get some calibration liquid too, but it did save me a bunch on the tester and it is doing fine still. Very accurate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from a LFS. I think I got 5 packets of each calibration set for 20.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
down here. lol. If you ask at any of the LFS I am sure they either have it on hand or can order it within a week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: