• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am on the kick again of geting rid of the reef and going FO. I am sick of battling algae and can keep fish alive with the current setup. I bought some new SPS frags - lost one and about to loose another.

I am thinking of going FO with 2 triggers, or angels or other type fish.

I am thinking on what I need to run a FO. I would empty the tank and get rid of all the rock.

Here is the equipment I have.

Universal equipment
Tank 58G
Sump 20G
Heater
Skimmer Euroreef ES5-3
Litremeter III dosing pump for top off
PH Monitor

This would be sold.
Reef equipment
Lights - 250W MH, 2 x 95 VHO Actinics
Tunze Stream
Kalk reactor
CA Reactor
PH Controller
Oceans Motions Squirt.

What do I need to run a FO with what I have? I would get a NO light fixture. Wet/dry? Etc?

A

Anonymous

If you are serious you could keep the VHO (unless it is part of an all in one thing) and change the bulbs so you would not have to buy anything. If the squirt is installed you could just keep it. For a FO you still want to have better than 10X turnover. I do not think you would need to buy anything.

A

Anonymous

I would keep the equipment as is. No need to buy anything at all. I would keep at least some of the rock. Most of the fish we see for sale are reef fish and find the rock as shelter and a food source. Any trigger would outgrow a 58 post haste, IMO. Centropyge angels would be fine, but no Poma or holos. 3-4 chromis, a centropyge, and a pseudochromis would be a nice look, IMO.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn, Rob! Sorry to hear you're still having algae issues. Do you live near any murky or swampy areas? It's possible that it's all aerial-born. Probably also explains why you don't have any decent LFS near you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, did you ever consider using a UV unit to try and cut down on the algae?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is on a few rocks. Its not that bad (yet). I lost a new coral that I order last week and I am sick of throwing money at this tank and for it to look like junk and boring. If fish would live in this tank I might be OK with it but the lack of coral growth and it looks like its turning bad again has me thinking.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: