• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

ok need some more advice. I am looking for a new skimmer for the new 90g system I am setting up. Which would be a better skimmer....

MRC MR1
Euro reef cs6-1
asm g3
aqua c ev 180

It would be an in sump model. Which would you take and why? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

One other, if you were to use a deltec on this system which one do you recommend. At some point in about 5 years I will up grade tanks again to a 300, but I would only use this skimmer until then. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant ... _Code=EURO

euroreef RS-135 (rated for up to 135 gallons), but I like to over size my skimmers. They also have a RS-100 (rated for 100 gallons)

The csx-x line is discontinued BTW.

I've used only MRC and Euroreef. Not knocking the MRC, but the ER was easier to set up, tune and clean. Not to mention it uses less electricity than a beckett.

A

Anonymous

Ranger, I also have had the euroreef and liked it, it was easily adjusted and produced tons of foam. I've also had an ASM but liked it less, thought it was a bit "fussier" if that makes sense.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had all except the MRC. I like needlewheel skimmers..... my ev180 was moody. never was consistant.

I am looking hard at a reef octopus recirc needlewheel. my buddy has one and it is awesome.... works good.

Maximus1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Tunze 9010. I just got one and this small skimmer just plain kicks ass! I think it produces 600+lph of air!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreef.

I had a MR-1 - did not work for me.

I am now using a Euroreef ES5-3 on my 58 and it pulls out allot of skimmate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of Bermuda Aquatics? I've seen one of their skimmers in action and it was CRANKING out the skimmate. and they're built really well.

The guy who put this in sold his G3. It's on a 180 with a low-normal bioload.

B

Attachments

• SkimmerGunk.jpg
    SkimmerGunk.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,235
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, If I had to recommend a deltec I'd say a 701. if you're going to use it on an upgrade.

But its $1100. You know it's a deltec, so you know it's worth it. But do you have That much for a skimmer?

B

fishinsouthga

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just talked to the guy at my lfs and was able to talk him into taking back my octopus injection skimmer, for the money its just not worth it, but i am going to be getting the needle wheel as he uses like 15 in his store and they seem to be great...

thomas

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so would you go with a cs6-2 over the cs6-1 for my sized system?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra contact time will make a slight difference, but I wouldn't say it's imperative. Unless you'll be hooking up a large sump and/or refugium to your 90g.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump height would need to be between 6-8", so you can round off to 100g, maybe. If you can score a used CS6-2, go for it.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when is your build time. i might have a cs 8-2+ to sell. i am waiting for the new reef octos recics to come out for the build on my other system.

my buddy just got a reef octopus recirc 150. i saw it today. the thing cranks....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my ASM G3. Works great, however I think that I would get an Octopus if I could do it over again. A little cheaper and it appears to be better made.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA-Lawman":3vtn6hv1 said:
i might have a cs 8-2+ to sell

Sweet! Aren't you glad I posted about finding a used one, Ranger. Great skimmer. Same height as the CS6-2 but with an 8" diameter and two pumps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: