• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

schwh01

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a small box fish yesterday. All seemed fine, he was even feeding straight away. I run a canister filter (empty) for extra circulation and he was swimming up and down in the flow and now it looks like he's ingested some air. He can't orientate his body correctly and is permanently in a tail up nose down position. He's swimming hard all the time trying to correct himself.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this before and can anyone offer a likely prognosis/ advice about how I might help him.

PS.
Because I'm worried he'll get stressed or worse, I've put him in a clear plastic container floating in the main tank so his toxins won't annihilate everything should the worst happen

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely a swim bladder problem which boxfish are particularly susceptible to. There's really not much you can do unless you're experienced at "needling" (which I strongly recommend against). The best you can do right now, IMO, is to give it a calm shelter and hope that it "passes gas" on its own. There may be some blockage from food that is interfering with swim bladder control.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious...what type of boxfish is this? Is he in a reef? What size tank is he in?

Peace,

Chip

schwh01

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a juvenile yellow box fish (Ostracion cubicus) about the size of your thumb nail squared.

He's in a 40g corner tank with various mushrooms, polyp rocks, soft corals three gobies and a clown.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: