• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I put the Pura Complete in my sump a few days back and the tank looks great. Better than the usual stuff I use(ChemiPure and BioChemZorb). I am actually impressed by the job it is doing. It also reduces Phosphates and Silicates. I would recommend it to anyone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$8.99 for each pouch. I run it 24/7. It says it is good for up to 6 months, so I'll change it every 2 months.

ReefTiger

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your skimmer react to it? I never run carbon, but may try this with the silicate/phosphate properties that you speak of.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have one that just absorbs phos and silicates. It had no effect on the skimmer. No wild foaming like the pads cause.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dan, where did you get these pouches? And what is the phosphate and silicate absorber one called?

And how's your tank been, BTW? :D

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought some of this and I'm a little confused from the descriptions as to what it has and what the advantages are over other products. I currently used Carbon and Phosban in a reactor chamber.

The first and thing I notice is that PhosLock will not disintegrate under high flow rates... so I see an advantage there.

But what else is there in it to improve over my current set up.

-Adrian

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that similar to RowaPhos? What color is it? brown, orange brown, dark brown, or almost black? It sounds like it is a Ferric Oxide based filter media.

Pretty cheap. Sounds good. What has it done so far?

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it. Its a combination product, including carbon, GFO like rowaphos or phosban, and a white product.

I like it also.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the white product is aluminum based phosphate remover, much like SeaChem's phos sponge.

IMO, I dont trust that aluminum. Randy Homes (chemistry master) doesnt believe so also.

MelanieF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the PuraPhos version. It runs reddish brown when rinsed but has kept my PO4 nil. I will never use anything else again, unless I decide to spend $ on a reactor which seems pointless since this stuff works just fine. I have a Turboflotor skimmer with the box that is supposed to contain bioballs. I just toss the bag of PuraPhos in the empty box so it treats water that passed through the skimmer. I have one of the PuraComplete pads sitting in my sump baffles. Neither has ever affected my skimmer.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pwj1286":39kocwit said:
I assume the white product is aluminum based phosphate remover, much like SeaChem's phos sponge..

I think that is a bad assumption. They state "Hydrated Beta-GFH is vastly superior to white colored Alumina based phosphate removers and greatly superior to numerous Alpha-Ferric Hydroxides sold in dry form." So we don't know what color it is from this? It could still be white even if its not the regular white stuff they dis.

I read the blurb again and see:

"Composed of Beta-GFH, Reef grade carbon, and a high capacity cation exchanger. "

So the white stuff ( if the Beta-GFH isn't white) is "a high capacity cation exchanger. "

So what does a "high capacity cation exchanger" do?

-Adrian

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pura complete has carbon, phosphate remover and positive/negative charged ions. They also sell one that only removes PO4.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume that:
positive/negative charged ions = "high capacity cation exchanger"

What does this mean? What does it do? Does it do something that the Carbon and the Phosphate remover cannot?

Thanks
-Adrian[/code]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It removes ions(dirt/nutrients) that are either too small for GAC or filter pads to remove. Just like DI resins.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: