• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Vili_Shark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I saw many people saying about the Catalina Goby and the Garibaldi that they will not do well in a tropical aquarium, cause of the temp.

I'm planning to set a new tank for a Clarion Angel and as far as I know they come from the same area.

Anybody knows how the Clarion does in a tropical tank?
I'm planning to put 2-3 other fish with him, and even have thoughts of making another reef with him inside.

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vili,
You better start a savings account if you want a Clarion angel. The last one I saw was large, and I think it would retail for $2500 to $3500 or more. It's a pretty fish that is hardy, but very few are being collected these days.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - good luck! Hardy like a passer angel (you have to hang it on a clothesline to kill it), but you have to borrow against your house to buy one! :?

Jim

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know a fellow hobbyist who has had a Clarion for over a decade, and it is hardy and suitable for tropical aquariums. But be prepared to spend several thousand.

Lifer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met Steve Robison at the IMAC in Chicago. He is, to my knowledge, the only person in the world who is catching these right now....He has a looooong waiting list.

Vili_Shark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd appreciate if you could give me Mr. Robinson contact details as I want to join his waiting list.

However, I think it's quite impossible that one man collect the whole species.

I got a shop in Hong Kong offering one 7", which is too big if I'll be in the position to choose the size.
Price is 4 grands which I rather spend on a Rolex.

Prices in LA are way cheaper than this, and since I'll be in LA end of this year I wanna join a waiting list or something and fly there and get one.

So ya guys, saying this fish is suitable to a tropical reef, unlike fellow Graribaldi and Catalina?

Meanwhile I'm planning the tank for the Clarion,with a closed loop Deltec interval pump model 8070.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve Robinson is a regular on our boards, and usually particpates in the Industry Forum. You can find him there.

Stateside prices are a little cheaper, but I wouldn't count on anything less then two thousand (I'd guss $3,000). It's not the logistics that determine the price of this fish; it's the demand and low supply (I hear it is very hard to collect in waters patrolled by the Mexican government).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will do fine in a tropical tank - it's a tropical fish! Not in a reef tank though. Angels of the genus holocanthus are the WORST for nibbling on inverts.
For my money, I'd rather have a passer. Just as hardy, and more stunning as an adult if you ask me. Not to mention about $4000 cheaper! 8O
Cheers
Jim

Vili_Shark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jim,

I made quite a few experiments on keeping Angels in Reef tanks and I have the same results as you, Holacanthus are Monsters.

Waz lucky with one ciliaris, but that's about it.

Pomacathus sp. and Euxiphipops spc are much easier in general.

Chatedontoplus sp are doing quite good with SPS and Tridacnas, so it made me think few times about placing a C.conspiculatus instead of the Clarion.

I also think an adult Passer is a real stunner, the problem is it's really agressive, more than any Angel I ever kept.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yeah, that's the one problem with passers. There seems to be some sort of major compromise with almost any nice fish - ever notice that? :?

Jim

Vili_Shark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,
Especially when they are in the fully adult color.
From my opinion, in the deep blue color, they are the nicest, but it's almost impossible to keep other Angels with them at this stage, unless you have a mini ocean at home, which I dont.

Dussumeiri

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my juvenile clarion 3days ago since I'm moving. The fish is pretty hardy and does well in my FOWLR. My temp runs from 80-82 degrees.

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal to collect Clarion angels now? I wasn't sure if collection opened back up at Clarion and Clipperton when they re-opened the Gulf to collection a few years ago.

Dustin

bruddah

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dussumeiri":1m9ivl4s said:
I just sold my juvenile clarion 3days ago since I'm moving. The fish is pretty hardy and does well in my FOWLR. My temp runs from 80-82 degrees.
here is Dussumeiri's clarion angel...

Attachments

• clarion2b.jpg
    clarion2b.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,426
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collection in the "clarion" islands is illegal, its a National Park. Steve R. is the only Legal source for Clarions (mainland, not the islands), all others are illegally collected. Since Steve (Cortez Marine) is wholesale only, he'll only sell to bonafide store fronts and the line is long (only good customers recieve them as a "prize").

the Clarion comes from the Sea of Cortez, also the tropical Pacific waters of Mexico may be its home range as well.

You hit it right on the money there, they can range around the tip of Baja, going a little ways up either side, but not far. Very few clarions can be found near the mainland and only as a lone angel (and adult to, no juv's from this area usually). They school out in the islands, juv's and all, just not near mainland.

Cortez Marine is a proud member of AMDA ( amdareef.com ) and Steve R. is the current president, so contact info can he had at their site. Cortez Marine has a site in progress, they only have an info page up as of yet ( cortezmarine.com). Please remember though, Cortez Marine doesn't deal with the public, only bonafide storefronts and public aquariums.

Gresham H
Cortez Marine

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresham,

I can't find any references that say that Clarion or any of the Revillagigedo Island Group are within a National Park. The website with Mexican National Parks doesn't list it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Mary has begun selling to hobbyists via Internet, and we know she knows her stuff regarding shipping. Maybe they can purchase the Clarion through her, yeah?

Or, I could just shut up.

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John,
The story I heard about Clarion being shut down came from my father, he is really into sportfishing and takes trips down to that area from San Diego. Before the island was closed to collection, they would throw out watermelon rinds and scoop up the "clarion goldfish" with bait nets as they swarmed at the surface eating the watermelon. They would put the fish in the livewells on the boat and return home to california with them.
That activity, and commercial fishing caused the mexican government to shut the area down.
A more recent occurance was a shut down of the rest of the Revillagegados to sportfishing. The commerical fishing vessels were putting so much pressure on the fish that the mexican government shut it down, under mexican laws, sportfishing on a charter boat falls under commercial fishing.

All of this is second hand information, so I could be wrong.

Dustin

DustinDorton

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.bajadestinations.com/afish/afish2002/afish020507/afish020507.htm

Theres the details on the regulations down there.

MEXICO CITY--In a high-level decision scheduled to be announced within a few days, several key agencies of the Mexican federal government agreed last week to close the Revillagigedo Island Biosphere Reserve to sport and commercial fishing.

The agreement confirms and in effect extends to 12 nautical miles a recent change in enforcement policy that closed an inner, 6-mile Nucleus Zone around each of the four islands of the Revillagigedo archipelago--Islas Socorro, Clarion, San Benedicto, and Roca Partida--located about 200 miles south of Cabo San Lucas.

Dustin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: