• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, Help, Please Help.

I installed my new tank not to long ago and as soon as I turned on my pump all hell broke loose, gurgling, burping, flushing, splahing was occuring in the sump and inside the standpipe, I tryed everything the u-shape pipe, submerging the pipe 2" deep, not submerging, making more holes on the Durso endcap, making them bigger I tryed for hours, days, nights I'm exausted. Some people say it's the standpipe that is too big others say it's the drain line others say I should add a valve on the return line but I'm scared with that option because of the potential flooding.
Can I get the same overall quietness without using a valve at the end of my drain line?

Please help!

Note: Durso Standpipe is 1"1/2 and a 1"1/4 bulkhead and than back to a 1"1/4 flex tube drain line under the tank to the sump bulkhead.

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do don't reduce the flow from the drain with a ball valve.

Is the noise coming from your overflow or from you sump?

If it's the overflow you need to adjust the size of the airhole in the cap. Us a very small hole if that doesn't work drill a second small hole.

If it's in the sump try this: Run your drain line straight down into the sump about 2" under the water level and then attach a 90* elbow and a piece of PVC running horizontal across the width of the sump. In the horizontal piece cut slits or drill holes facing up. This will allow the ari to escape while the water flows through it.

Jeff

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like the hole in your cap is to large.
I have 2 overflows on my tank, both with Durso's and they were kinda loud at first so I changed the cap out and drilled 2 very small holes.
It's almost silent now.

Jeff

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut feeling is that your standpipes are to large for a 75 gallon tank. You won't be able to provide enough water into the standpipes to keep it busy (and quiet).

Luckily PVC is cheap and you can make new ones with little cost. I would suggest making one out of 1 1/4 inch PVC and either try connecting directly into the 1 1/4 inch bulkhead, or reduce to 1 inch in the bulkhead and try that way.

I've only seen a real need for 1.5 inch standpipes one time so far, and that was for a Trout Farmer who needed to process over 100 gallons a MINUTE. There is no way in the world, your 75 gallon tank will reach such flows. I've seen 1.5 inch pipes used on very large tanks as well such as 750 gallon tanks.

You might be able to come up with some gizmo to quiet down your existing setup, but I think you're working at it from the wrong end.

Good Luck,

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mr. Durso!

I guess I'm going to change every thing, I first installed these mesurment because that's what was posted on your website but I guess you had posted those dimensions for greater flows? right? If so I think it would be a good idea to help our fellow reefers by putting on your website the diferent dimensions for diferent flow rates. Just a suggestion.

I have a problem I can't remove my 1" 1/4 bulkhead what can I do?

aversion

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need a reducer of some sort on either side of your bulkhead fittings to take your 1 1/2" pipe down to 1" or whatever size you want. If you don't want to glue the reducer in, you can use a bit of teflon tape around the pipe to seal it.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only reason that you see the large pipe reduced to a small one is for the one inch overflows...... for some reason you need to go from 1 1/4 to 1 inch... all the other sizes you just use the pipe that goes with the bulkhead...

I would build a new one with 1 1/4 pipe only. that should solve your problem... no overflow is completely silent. you can only make the noise less.

I push about 6oogph out of my 1" durso. it is great. I could probably push close to 700gph but i have a chiller plumbed and that reduces the flow a bit..

hth

-ben

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to jump on this thread.

I have made a Durso Standpipe for my 58 gallon. However it is not live yet.

I made it out of 1 1/2 inch PVC (All that I could find around here)

I have a 1 inch bulkhead. I will be using a mag9 pump for the return. Will the pipe be too much?

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get this last night I changed my standpipe to 1"1/2 to 1"1/4 but kept from the street elbow and up all 1"1/2. but theire is still too much turbulence up theire or down the drain line for that matter! I did not change my bulkhead because like I mentioned above I can't remove it.
I'm wondering if by adding a reducer to 1" and than another to 1"1/4 to the bulkhead would help?
and having the return line 1" instead of 1"1/4 so that I can stop all of that air water noise in there...
What do you guys think?

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bulkhead is 1 1/2 correct?
I would use a reducer to go to 1" then build yourself a Durso out of 1 1/4 and I think you'll be fine.
Remember drill a very small hole in the cap, if the hole is to small the water level in the overflow will be low on the durso (bottom of the strret el) if the hole is to big the level will be to high (top of the street el) - adjust accordingly

Jeff

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

My bulkhead is actualy 1"1/4 but I understand what your saying. Do you think that if I go from my bulkhead that would be reduced to 1" like you say and keep going with a 1" tubing right down to the sump is a bad idea?
I mean for clogging and everything?
I would use 1" tubing because I figure that's going to cut down the noise that is inside the drain line too!
input?

wickerj

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think that would help.
On my overflows I have one plumbed with 1 1/4 flex and one with 1" flex and I think the 1 1/4 is a little bit louder but not enough for me to change it. I'd start off just changing the durso part and if that doesn't fix it enough then replace the drain line.

Jeff

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering on how resonable I should be about water flow noise, because my purpose in life right now and for the past month was to figure out a way to make this tank COMPLETELY SILENT. Is it possible or am I just running after the wind!(loosing my time?)

King Jason

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enzo B.":38unkp84 said:
I was just wondering on how resonable I should be about water flow noise, because my purpose in life right now and for the past month was to figure out a way to make this tank COMPLETELY SILENT. Is it possible or am I just running after the wind!(loosing my time?)

Run forest run! IMO you can't silence an overflow completely. I'm able to get my 2 overflows quiet enough so that it doesn't bother me. I think you have to expect a little noise. I would play with the hold size on the cap. This is usually the last piece of the puzzle when it comes to making the overflow as quiet as possible.

reefland

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends how loud the next item is. My 180 gallon tanks's overflows seem completely silent as the only sound that can be heard is the faint hum of the Iwaki MD70RLT return pump. And the hum of the cooling fans. You hear nothing at all that sounds like water - not bad for about 1,500 GPH.

Perhaps if it was a smaller tank, with a smaller and quieter pump you would still hear something. I've seen the standpipes in 75g, 120g sized tanks using smaller pump and again they were silent to the point you didn't hear anything that sounded like water.

If you feel they are not quiet, you can always yank the standpipe for a night and try to sleep. It will remind you of what things used to be like. :D

Enzo B.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you it does make it some what silent but not the way people actualy describe it to be and that's what's frustrating to me. I would love to know for real just how quiet these standpipes CAN be so that I can stop obsessing and just move on with the rest of the tank!

tampavii

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enzo
I have to jump in here .I agree your stand pipe is way to large. 1 inch should be fine just dont glue it together .Get stuff from Home depot and try it .If it works then glue it .Another thing to try is after the tees place short piece of pipe then put on PVC cap but dont glue it . Then drilll 1/8 hole thur cap and pipe .if you turn the cap you can make the hole bigger or smaller as needed .i just hooked up my 225 with dual Durso stand pipes and they are both 1 1/4 . However I am running an AMP master 3000 I would guess its around 2000 gph.
Any questions e mail me .they are very very quiet once adjusted right.
Good luck Capt Gene

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: