A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've been looking at different brands of Kalkwasser and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? I've been thinking about the Two Little Fishies (i.e. Julian Sprung/Peter Wilkins) Kalkwasser/CombiSan combination, unless someone has had a bad experience with it. Or should I just go to the grocery store and buy a box of pickling lime? I was a little concerned about adding contaminants to my system. Also, does anyone have any experience with the Kent IV-style drip doser? I was planning to use this as my Kalkwasser delivery system. Thanks in advance,

Glenn

A

Anonymous

I don't think you have to worry about using pickling lime. I use hydrated lime, calcium hydroxide sold to the farmers for disinfecting their barn floors. I buy 20 kilos, 44lbs, for $4.99 Canadian. I can't afford to pay for aquarium designer Kalk as I use about 18 litres (almost 5g) of saturated Kalk each night for my tanks. You can see in my tank pics that my tanks aren't suffering any.

------------------
ICQ#30079114
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/index.html

A

Anonymous

Hi Glenn,
I use Kent Kalkwasser and mix up 1 gal every night (for dosing the next night). I use 3 tsp per gal of R/O water. I have used the Kent IV-style drip doser for about 6 months and have been mostly satisfied. Each night I dose 2 tanks (1-55gal/1-150gal) with about 1/2 gal of prepared saturated Kalkwasser. I drip at a rate of about 1 drop/sec so it takes several hours to empty the Kent doser (which is why I only dose 1/2gal per tank). My evaporation rate is fairly high so I have to add additonal R/O direct to tanks.

The only problems I've had with the Kent dosers is clogging. I use pH Minus about 1 time per week to clean (just drip the solution through as if dosing Kalk...but obviously not into the tank). Would prefer to use a SpectraPure doser, but too much money for me.

hth...Mike

A

Anonymous

Food grade lime is available in most grocery stores and is used by Rob Toonen for the maintance of his systems...Good enough for him, good enough for me
smile.gif

Best regards...Jim

------------------
New tank pics daily at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/reefstats.htm
Worktank at: members.xoom.com/jimhobbs/worktank.htm

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: