A

Anonymous

Anyone any experience with Kent's ionically balanced Tectra CB two-part additive? I have a small 40gall reef and have struggled to maintain both calcium and alkalinity - it doesn't evaporate enough for KW to be effective, and I have read much about the long-term effects of using CaCl2 and sodium bicarb. Its expensive here in England - is it worth the investment ?
Any advice welcome as always
Cheers
Robert

A

Anonymous

Hello Robert. I have used the CB for about 3 months now in my 90 gal. reef. I am also using clear Kalkwasser for top off (about 3/4 gallon per day). The Kalk alone didn't get it done. I have found the CB to work well so far. After I found the right dose for my situation, I have found that it does well in keeping my calcium and alkalinity levels up. I still find that I need to use a little bit of buffer now and then but nothing like I was using before. I would suggest checking your magnesium as well as low levels can make alk and cacium tough to maintain. As far as the expense goes, I guess that's your decision.
At retail prices here in the States, my current dosage would cost me about $25 every 3 months. Mail order, it's closer to $20 for 6 months (not including the shipping costs).

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: