• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Shaner

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump has a series of baffles I built into it for the specific reason of creating stilling area for adding algae/plants on top of a sand bed. I'm using 4x96 powercompacts (actually the old bulbs I replace out of my tank) for lighting, temparature about 79-81, normal reef parameters. I have 1 purple tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 maroon gold striped clowns, 1 purple firefish all in a 120 gallon reef tank.

What do you all recommend for algae/plants in the sump?

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far the best algae's I've found are the Gracilarious and Halimeda's. Caulerpa's have a tendency to "go Sexual", which is sometimes undersireable. The Halimeda's will pull some Ca and Alk out of your water, but not too much IMO. The "Red Tang Heaven" is a little harder to grow, but worth it if you can get it to take off. The Green Brillo-type algae is the best, it grows like a weed, and is very easy to harvest.

- Mac

amcarrig

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all...can someone briefly explain about what it means when caulerpa "goes sexual" and why it's bad when it does? Either that or point me in a direction where I can read existing info about this subject. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: