• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a copy of a post that I put up in my reef cemistry forum ( http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=ea0da5e35bff855a83d32dc79c349ae6&forumid=112 ), but since many of you don't go there, I thought I'd start up a discussion here as well.

In preparation for an article on alkalinity, I got to thinking about how the vinegar that many use may be causing problems in terms of alkalinity. We previously had an extensive discussion here about whether the acetate that's formed eventually becomes available alkalinity for calcification.

The point of interest now is that the acetate that forms will interfere with alkalinity testing. The pKa of acetate/acetic acid is just below 4 (4.75 in fresh water but somewhat lower in seawater). If here is appreciable acetate in the tank water it will be partially "counted" as alkalinity.

An alkalinity measurement (or titration) usually drives the pH down to about 4-5. Consequently, some of the acetate present will become protonated during the titration, and show up as alkalinity.

FWIW, I did the test myself by adding acetate to my tank water (in a beaker) and then measured the alkalinity. It is appreciably raised by the acetate present (assuming, of course, that you add enough acetate).

So how can this be a problem?

Well, I'd like to throw this open for discussion, but here's one possibility:

That in some situations, the conversion of acetate to OH- to HCO3- may be slow enough that it is limiting the availability of HCO3- to corals (assuming, for the moment, that that is what they want when they calcify). And that by measuring alkalinity only, you may not know this.

Now, the conversion of acetate to OH- to HCO3- must happen at some appreciable rate or else those using vinegar/limewater would see the alkalinity rise over time as acetate built up. Have we seen enough cases to know this isn't happening?

The more vinegar that people use, the worse this problem would be. I've heard of a few people that use far more than Craig suggested in his Aquarium Frontiers paper. These would be the people most at risk for having a problem.

In many cases, however, it is possible that the people using vinegar have appreciably lower carbonate/bicarbonate alkalinity than they think, and this might possibly be an issue for the corals.

What can you do?

Here's one suggestion if you are chemically inclined: do a carbonate only alkalinity titration. Using a pH meter, titrate from your usual pH to 7.5 or so. That counts all of the carbonate present, but not any of the acetate or bicarbonate. If that value is in line with expectation then you are OK (say, 0.3 to 0.6 meq/L, I got 0.6 meq/L in a tank with a total alkalinity of 3.6 meq/L and a starting pH of 8.45, and also got 0.6 meq/L in the same tank water to which had been added enough acetate to drive the total alkalinity to 10-26 meq/L (depending upon what pH one thinks of as the endpoint)).

If the result is appreciably lower than 0.3 meq/L, then you may have an alkalinity dominated by acetate.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]</p>

jsteinman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, didn't quite understand all the chemical terms, but the message seesm to be that if you are dosing Kalk with Vinegar and you have high Alk, the vinegar may be the problem...???

Did I miss something?

jsteinman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... from further rereading, if you do have high alk, it may not actually be a correct reading, but from the actual residual vinegar itself that is left in the water after dosing. This can eventually translate into an issue of incorrect readings and potential problems in the tank.

Are you then advocating that adding vinegar is/could be a bad thing?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my reding, it is people that are using too much vinegar. The small quantity that was suggested by Craig Bingman, in theory, shouldn't lead to the problem.

tetra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure can I prove I had the problem described by Randy Holmes, but after dosing pickling lime with 30mL/Gal. of vinegar for three months; my corals were not responding well. I had to do a 50% water change and stop using vinegar and everything is back to normal again. I always thought it is was not natural to force more calcium to dissolve per volume by using vinegar. Perhaps as a result some impurities or heavy metals were dissolving as well due to vinegar or maybe somehow the extra kick of Calcium if is unbalancing my b-ionic balance. However I guess this new theory of Randy is a lot better and plus he is more of an expert than I will ever be. The point is I did have problem with using vinegar, but I could explain why.

dragon0121

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just that your Alk is high it's that your reading is partially including the acetate in the water from the vinegar. One of the key points is <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> In many cases, however, it is possible that the people using vinegar have appreciably lower carbonate/bicarbonate alkalinity than they think, and this might possibly be an issue for the corals.
<hr></blockquote>

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Dragon, that's the point exactly. Especially for people with marginal alkalinity and a lot of vinegar addition, how much of that alkalinity is acetate and thereby not what corals need, bicarbonate or carbonate. If someone has a high alkalinity, this is less likely to be an issue because they are more likely to at least have "enough" bicarbonate.

FWIW, I don't know if this is any sort of issue or not. If tanks process acetate fast enough, it won't be. I've just never seen this issue addressed, so people should at least keep it in the back of their minds.

Tetra:

The concern about metals is a good one, IMO. When I pointed this out once, someone asked Craig Bingman about it. He responded that the effect is real but fairly small for lead (he did some calculations; I can't recall how much vinegar he used in that calculation). Of course, that leaves lots of other metals.

Also, if you dump a lot of acetate that is being consumed by microbes at night, it is conceivable that the O2 levels drop as oxygen is consumed to degrade the acetate. Consequently, in a tank with marginal aeration to begin with, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Especially for people with marginal alkalinity and a lot of vinegar addition

How much is a lot? I mix 5 gal. batches of kalkwasser and use 250ml 5% acetic acid (white vinegar) and 10 teaspoons of kalk powder.

I travel during the week and my wife won't mix the kalk, so one reason for using the vinager was to allow me to make larger batches that would last longer. I dose this in my 180G.

Where is BReefCase when you need him??

Ernie

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a lot? That's the 64,000 dollar question!

I can say, however, that you are nowhere near the vinegar levels that some people use.

250 mL of 5% acetic acid is about 208 mmoles of acetic acid.

5 gallons of normal limewater 772 mmoles of alkalinity.

So you are adding only a small portion of the alkalinity as acetate. Consequently, I wouldn't worry in your case.

It's the people that get close to 1:1 (neutral pH to the solution) that have the biggest liklihood of concern. Essentially, those people are dosing just calcium acetate.

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Randy Holmes-Farley ]</p>

smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this has anything to do with the vinegar or not, but while I was reading this post a bell went of in my head. Ok for a long while I was using the kalk and vinegar, got up to 15 ml. per liter. Then had a water cloud problem as a result. So I quit using the vinegar. And as of lately I have been getting a much lower reading of my Alk. This after stopping the vinegar and kalk mix for about 3 weeks. I have not been able to put my finger on it, but have been adding a lot more of buffer. Mabe I was getting the false reading that you talk about. Don't know for sure. Just a thought to ponder on.

smokin reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by smokin reefer:
<strong>Don't know if this has anything to do with the vinegar or not, but while I was reading this post a bell went of in my head. Ok for a long while I was using the kalk and vinegar, got up to 15 ml. per liter. Then had a water cloud problem as a result. So I quit using the vinegar. And as of lately I have been getting a much lower reading of my Alk. This after stopping the vinegar and kalk mix for about 3 weeks. I have not been able to put my finger on it, but have been adding a lot more of buffer. Mabe I was getting the false reading that you talk about. Don't know for sure. Just a thought to ponder on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

^

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: