• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnoopDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two tangs the other day from a guy that I was get my fish from. The fish looked ok till the next day and some ich popped up, I did not stress and started feeding them garlic food mix like I always do. Well two weeks later and a few fish lighter, my others have it. My percs, tangs, Flame Hawk, Basslet all have ich. Some even show a couple of black spots which I guess are also ich. I am very ticked off at this ! Now what do I do ? I even saw that a Firefish had it 5 minutes ago. I have a 20 gallon tank empty in the shed that I could put copper in but I doubt they would all last in there any amount of time. So any idea guys ? If I tear my tank down again I only want to do it once. From now on I am going to go back to the "two week quarantine" like I used to. But for now any suggestions are wanted.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info.
What size tank is this ?
What are the water params ?
What type of filtration ?
Is this a FO or a reef ?
What type of Tangs ?
Obviously something caused stress, the 2 new Tangs, the other fish, the tank size, the biological load ?
Start feeding the fish a healthy diet of Selco/Selcon soaked foods, add garlic if you wish and think it helps, but you'll have to find the source of stress to rid the tank of Ich and to keep it from coming back.
BTW the black spots are probably parasites.

Regards,
David Mohr

Doughboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Ick Kick before with good results, although that was before any corals. I've read mixed reviews here and at other boards about these types of products. You may be too far gone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by SnoopDog:
75 Gallon Reef
Nitrates = <.05
Nitrites = 0
SG = 1.024
Calcium = 400
Alk = 4.5

Well we found the cause of the stress.
Two Yellow Tangs in a 75gl tank will do it and will continue to do it. You'll have to reevaluate your tank inhabitants.
The black spots, are these on the Tangs ? If so, this is Paravortex, it is a parasitic flatworm and will not infect your other fish and can be easily removed by a fresh water dip.
I know other posters will step in.

Regards,
David Mohr

shadetree

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnoopDog,

Do you still have the original three yellow tangs and the purple tang? I see their pictures on your site. DavidMohr offers some sound advice.

Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: