• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using MH here on my nw set up and what is the "acclimation process" all about?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting acclimation essentially just means to control exposure to the new bulb. You can do this via several methods.

1. Raising the canopy.
2. Using a light diffuser (e.g. "eggcrate")
3. Shortening/staggering the photoperiod.

New bulbs emit different wavelengths and intensity. Light-sensitive organisms like corals may react negatively to the change. Results include retracted polyps, bleaching, and death. Controlling and limiting exposure to the new bulb slowly builds tolerances to the changes in parameter. It also allows the new bulbs to break in.

It's advisable never to change all your bulbs at once. Stagger the bulb change to at least a month apart to minimize unncessary stress.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will shortening the photoperiod really help? I mean the corals are still exposed to the greater intensity, albeit for a shorter period of time.

-Tom

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pez,

admittedly, it's the least desirable method (hence, it being in the last suggestion). It should help some. It's like smoking less: acute damage is done everytime you smoke, but reducing usage will prevent chronic damage.

imow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent replaced mine in a while and wasnt sure if I should go through an acclimation process.

Thanks

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, you should. I've bleached a coral or two when changing to new bulbs, even with an acclimation procedure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: