Lark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had an 80 gallon tank to work with (48x18x21), how would you set it up?

Where would you put the overflow chamber, corner or middle? How large would you make the outflow and inflow holes (or, rather, what size bulkheads?) Where would you drill your return? Any other thoughts? Thanks (again) from a novice.

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would do the overflow or overflows in the corner(s). i like the idea of being able to look it to the sides (if need be) to check that everything is flowing right. i would also put the return plumbed up through the overflow box and plumber out to the main tank. that is just MO. i don't have a drilled tank but i personally would do the corner.

others might suggest other things

later
Lunchbucket

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'v ebeen working my tail off for the past two weeks completeing my 80 gal (same dimensions) reef. I drilled it for an overflow, but the return lines are HOB with the black flexible tubing. I never even thought of drilling for the return lines, duh! But, my system turned out very weel and I am full of ideas right now on what I did and what I would do differently. Contact me for 30+ pics of the installation process and details, I would be happy to share.
More specfics that may be up your alley for intentions:
80 gal reef; plenum with 150 lbs. (4inch) live sand filter bed; 20 gal sump; 4x65 JBJ retro PC's; 2x96 retro PFO PC's; just bought two MH 175 pendants (debating b/c of heat issues); Korralin calcium reactor, digital dosing pump; custom built cabinet to store equipment and supplies; custom built hood; ETS reef devil skimmer.
Email me at [email protected]
Cheers,
Scott

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap Lark!!! I'm in Glendale. Drag your butt over here and I'll show you the tank. I'll be stocking with a few more fish and corals tomorrow. email me and I will provide you with my ph#. I'll be done with classes at 1330. BTW, paint the back wall blue, not black... best thing I did!
Cheers,
Scott

Lark

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - you have mail.

Lunchbucket - do you have a return back up through the overflow box? How did you plumb it? I'd like to do one of those Durso things to keep noise down, but I'm concerned there won't be enough room to work in there if I also have the return up through the box.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: